Catching Rabbits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PythonPro

Not so new Member
Reaction score
If you were tring to catch rabbits with an elliot trap what would be the ideal food for bait?
If you got sombody with a slug gun to collect some rabbits and removed the pellet from the rabbit is it safe to feed your snakes after you freeze them? Or can they cause lead poisoning.

You probably don't want any diseases or parasites that wild rabbits carry being fed to your snake.

I thought freezing them kills parasites. The rabbits here are in good nick. There were people in south australia selling wild caught rabbits on the herp trader once.

If you're freezing them then it should be ok... just be warned that there may be some people trying to poison the population in your area and that's really something that freezing can't fix.

I mean those ones they use to catch possums
these ones

Attachments

• PTS1089S45.jpg
    PTS1089S45.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 78
not sure what size id use. Look at this one its for womats and dogs.

Attachments

• 48fS30.jpg
    48fS30.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 104
i dont thik a slug gun would kill a rabbit(10-15 shots maybe) at least use a .22 to kill then quickly.. agree you want catch a rabbit in those traps.. i would not recomend using them for food..

Does freezing kill off calici virus and myxo? And if feeding and infected rabbit would it cause any problems for your snake? :s

you should never feed any captive reptiles wild caught prey (food) the higher risk of dissease and potentail posioning (baiting) far out weights savings/cost incentives, if availablity is an issue bulk buying of feed stock should be looked at , depends were you are from i can supply you with names of businesses in both sydney and queensland that sell bulk stock due to my large breeding stock (reptiles) once again chickens are god alt to rabbits.

Who sells bulk in Queensland? Do they frieght? There is a couple of reasons im not keen on this. I live two hours away from the airport and 10 hours north of brisbane. I dont want to fill my parants freezer with too much.

So before im forced to buy bulk rabbits or chickens. I want to get one of these traps. It will be fun. In winter there are millions of rabbits in my back yard looking for green grass. I will quaritine the rabbit to ensure it hasn't been baited since i live close to i huge cattle property. I doubt they bait because the cattle property is adjacent national park. Im not too worried about the risk beacause None of the snakes i will feed will be more than $200. Coastal, water, Jungle. Its a long time before i will need one of these traps they are still small snakes.
If anybody has caught a rabbits what bait do you reccomend???

maybe breed them if you have all this time and space? i still wouldnt use wild personally. but set up a hutch or series of hutch's out the back and start breeding. then knock em or gas am at different sizes as your pythons grow.

what suburb are from if not what area ?
also have you called kevins rodents
Frozen Rats for Reptile Consumption

My rodents are raised in an air conditioned environment and I pay particular attention to their hygiene, health and diet. They are fed fresh vegetables and grain daily. Euthanasia is performed humanly using CO2 gas. The product is placed in Zip Bags and frozen immediately.

Contact Details

Phone: (07) 3901 0065
Mobile: 0431 716 377
Email: [email protected]

Price List

Rats

• RATS
  • Pinkies .................................................. $1.00 each
  • Fuzzies .................................................. $2.25 each
  • Hoppers (15g to 30g) ......................... $2.50 each
  • Weaners (30g to 60g) ........................ $3.00 each
  • Small (60g to 115g) ............................ $4.00 each
  • Medium (115g to 150g) ...................... $5.00 each
  • Large (150g to 230g) .......................... $7.00 each
  • Extra Large (250g Upwards) ............. $10.00 each
Mice

• Adults .................................................. $2.50 each
  • Smaller ............................................... by Order Only

How to catch Rabbit, for 6 year olds

How do you catch a Unique Rabbit

You_neek up on him.

How do you catch a Tame Rabbit

Tame way, you_neek up on him.

Thats another option. Catch a wild pair and make a hutch. Wouldnt be easy killing your pet rabbits compared to a wild one. Ive never gased before, I believe you you need a valve to go on the top of the soda stream bottle. Need help finding that.

Ive got quail in a cage in my back yard that have been laying eggs for me I just havent bought an incubator yet. Might wait till spring. I took 18 eggs out of the cage yeasterday and smashed them on the road but there were no embryo's. Its cold see.

I drop bunnies for human comsumption fairly often, so if they are fit for humans I can't see anything wrong with feeding them of to your critters.
Just be careful where you get them. In some areas they are baited/diseased etc but if you can find a healthy population, I can't see a problem.
Second option, like some people here have already suggested, set up a hutch, get a breeding pair and breed your own. That way you know they aren't poisoned etc and you have a fairly constant supply.

i dont thik a slug gun would kill a rabbit(10-15 shots maybe)

Modern Air Rifles are more than capable of killing rabbits. Most .177's have a velocity of 1000 fps and the .22's around 800 fps.
Several mates, along with myself, knock over bunnies and hares on a regualar basis with .22 Air Rifles with single head shots at 20 to 30 meters.
There has been several articles in hunting mags over the last couple of years on this subject and more and more people are starting to use Air Rifles to knock over bunnies.

As Paul said, new air rifles are more than capable of taking out a bunny.
I know the rabbits on the peninsula where i live are free from a lot of the problems they have further north and they are regularly eaten by quite a few people and fed to snakes here with no ill effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back