Catching wild Blue Tongue lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Dont know of any beardies in my area but could I catch and keep Blue Tongue lizards (Legally),? because theres heaps where i live
If I cant thats okay, i'll buy from a petstore/breeder or whatever but the thought was just crossing my mind.

lolz you probably could catch and keep them but youd have to have a very close look at the laws concerning you state if you caught a few and then made your backyard bluie friendly and escape proof you could then release them in the back yard. so your not really keeping them as such as they are not in an enclsure. but you will still have regular access to them from the safety of you back yard never mind that they would breed up a storm so you have them in all sizes to. i wouldnt recomend doing this tho

cant u get permits or something to allow keepin of wild reptiles..i know of a relocator who does it

lolz you probably could catch and keep them but youd have to have a very close look at the laws concerning you state if you caught a few and then made your backyard bluie friendly and escape proof you could then release them in the back yard. so your not really keeping them as such as they are not in an enclsure. but you will still have regular access to them from the safety of you back yard never mind that they would breed up a storm so you have them in all sizes to. i wouldnt recomend doing this tho
If I made my backyard escape proof, if they had babies would I be allowed to keep one of them?

yes you can but you have to have a good reason to be doing it befor they will even give you the permit

Great idea might have to try that with some GTP's!!

Just go and buy one they are cheap as chips and easy to source.

Its illegal and some people have some very strong opinions on the subject lol. And I hope this doesnt turn out like the topic on the garden skinks that got outta control the other day haha

Their was a time , not long ago when you could catch out of the wild this was called 'commonly kept Reptiles" you could legally up to 8 animals of a few common lizards including eastern water dragons, Blue tongues and a couple on turtle but no snakes, However thanks to the introduction of laws allowing petshops to sell reptiles, just so happens to be the same species you could take from the wild...so its only nature for for them too remove that " Commonly kept reptiles" law, which helped young up coming herpers for the hidious profitable marketers.

no they would all have to remain "in the wild" of you back yard. personally i think they are more interesting in the wild anyway as they dont do very much in an enclosure they will wander a bit eat some food and then just sleep the day and night away

actually the back yard is not the wild ;), so I have been told :shock:

no they would all have to remain "in the wild" of you back yard. personally i think they are more interesting in the wild anyway as they dont do very much in an enclosure they will wander a bit eat some food and then just sleep the day and night away

Surely you already know the answer?
Is the post a stir over the garden skink thread?

Last edited:
Great idea might have to try that with some GTP's!!

Just go and buy one they are cheap as chips and easy to source.[/quote

makeing a back yard escape proof for any reptile would be a massive amount of work and most likely futile.

use some common sense rather than automatically haveing a go I was being sarcastic.

if you want bluies but cant afford one just make you back yard bluie friendly leave some food out for em and have plenty of hides avilable. they will come and go you will be able to see them almost every day pick em up handle em (not really recommended with wild bluies) and they will breed and it will cost you nothing also i think this would be far more rewarding as you will have all the benefits of keeping one and none of the draw backs like haveing to clean thier poos or constantly replaceing light bulbs.

ILLLEGAL. why on earth would u want to take a poor wild animal and turn it into a house pet. bit cruel if u ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back