Central Coast Frogging

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

froggyboy86

Reaction score
Hey guys, just spent a few days up on the Central Coast helping a friend with her honours research on the frogs of that area. Herp activity was surprisingly low compared to this time last year when we saw double what we saw this time but it was still a very enjoyable trip.

Some scenery shots...

Rainforest.jpg

7.jpg

One gecko species which is normally prolific is the Southern Leaf Tail (Phyllurus platyrus) but we didn't see any on this trip.

Phyllurusplatyrus.jpg

And there are always lots of Lace Monitors (Varanus varius) lurking around.

Varanusvarius.jpg

8.jpg

The highlight of the trip for me was the frogs (but I am biased ;))

The endangered Stuttering Frog (Mixophyes balbus)

Mixophyesbalbusadult1-1.jpg

Another favourite frog of mine is the Red Backed Toadlet (Pseudophryne coriacea) seen here guarding its eggs.

Pseudophrynecoriaceaadult2.jpg

Other frogs we encountered were C. signifera, Lech. fletcheri, Lim. peroni, L. citropa, L. fallax, L. phyllochroa, L. wilcoxi and U. fusca.

Hopefully once the weather warms up I'll be able to head back and do more herping!

Aaron

Nice pics fellow Hobbit ;), My Oldies live up on the Central Coast, but I have never done any herping up that way, too far from the Shire for me...

Oh awesome, another Shireling into herps. I thought I was the only one! Haha yeah most of my herping is done around the Shire, unless I am targetting more exotic species then I have to summon my courage to cross the Georges River... :p I'm not sure where my next "big" herping trip will be, either up on the Barrington or Dorrigo plateau or down in the Riverina.

I missed this post. What a beautiful area and great frogs. That Pseudophryne coriacea was gorgeous.

Regards,
David

Thanks David, it is a really beautiful place and a great place for camping. I loved finding the coriacea, first time I have been lucky enough to see one guarding eggs.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back