Central Netted Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Have been offered two of these for free, but I have no idea about their care requirements.. Can anybody help me out here? I'll be searching this forum and Googling too but nothing beats a personal reply..

Light, heat, UV, food, water etc..?

Thanks a lot!

visit the central netted website that has a banner on the top of the home page (push refresh till it comes up)

you can buy an excellent care book from there.

Central Netted's need basically what any normal dragons needs. i.e. UV & heat and they pretty much only eat crickets but you can offer them greens as well.

I have my little guy on red desert sand and he loves it. They like to dig, so make sure whatever is in their enclosure can't fall and hurt them if they dig underneath it and make it unstable. I have mine in a small enclosure at the moment cause he's only tiny and I have a large fake plant in there so he can get right up close to the uv & heat lamp. I have a red lamp in his enclosure which is on 24hrs a day. Also provide them with a hide because they will use it at times. If you are going to house 2 together, then make sure you provide them each with a hide. Doesn't have to be anything fancy and even a piece of plastic tubing can be used.

The book by Shannonn Plummer is terrific and it has some great information in it so I would recommend you buy it. You can either buy a hard copy or one to view on the computer.

My tank is an open/mesh topped tank.. It doesn't have a light fitting... I know you can get clamped on heat lamps, so that isn't a problem, but UV might be. Can you buy UV lights that can just be clamped on?

phil. do not buy a compact. you can hang a uv tube on the inside of the mesh.

considering mesh tops filter out alot fo uv, they arent that great. so installing lights on the inside may be the way to go.

i know the dalbarb ones suck, big time as the mesh isnt suitable for lamps.

you can buy a thing that sits on top of the mesh for uv, its a flourescent tube mount, we use them where i work, i think you can get them from my other work haha (about the only good thing about working at bunnings:lol:)
ive forgotten exactly what they are called however :? its the same as those light mounts you use to put on top of a fish tank for UV..
but yes, you can get uv on top :p

Xx Nat ;)

Last edited:
If I leave it open topped is there an advantage/disadvantage? Can they be handled? How much do they need to eat?

Hi PhilK

I strongly suggest you visit my website which is loaded with detailed care information. You really need to read and understand this before you bring the Netteds home. My book also contains much more detailed information, especially about lighting which is fundamentally important to the Netted's long term health and survival.

http://www.centralnetteddragon.com

I forgot to mention that Brisbane Pet Super Store both at Capalaba and Stafford stock my book or you can buy it online.

Thanks Shannon but unfortunately I am very poor at the moment, and if I'm going to buy them a heat and UV lamp I can't afford to buy your book.. I will have to make do with advice and internet care sheets methinks..

Are these guys able to be handled or are they a look don't touch animal?

Is river sand a good enough substrate as their current enclosure already has that in it..

Phil,

I think you're missing the point. I mentioned my website is full of detailed care information (free) - if you haven't checked it out then you should since all the questions you are asking are covered along with photos and diagrams etc.

To be frank if finance is such an issue right now and you cannot afford a basic care requirement then maybe you should reconsider taking then on. It will cost you money to continually feed them, replace UV lights in the next 6-12 months, replace sand when needed. And what about veterinary care if the need arises - which can be sudden and without notice or time to save up. My concern is solely for the health and well-being of the reptile and while these kind of decisions can be purely emotional based that doesn't serve the reptile well in the long term if their needs cannot be fulfilled.

It concerns me that you continually ask basic questions when it has already been pointed out to you a very useful and specific resource which is seems you have still failed to take the time to look at, read and learn about. I don't mean to offend but think about what is best for the reptiles - that is where your main concern should be.

Phil,

I think you're missing the point. I mentioned my website is full of detailed care information (free) - if you haven't checked it out then you should since all the questions you are asking are covered along with photos and diagrams etc.

To be frank if finance is such an issue right now and you cannot afford a basic care requirement then maybe you should reconsider taking then on. It will cost you money to continually feed them, replace UV lights in the next 6-12 months, replace sand when needed. And what about veterinary care if the need arises - which can be sudden and without notice or time to save up. My concern is solely for the health and well-being of the reptile and while these kind of decisions can be purely emotional based that doesn't serve the reptile well in the long term if their needs cannot be fulfilled.
First of all, thanks for your concern and no, you haven't offended me. I understand you are saying what you are out of concern for the animals, which is admirable.

I have read and reread your website three times now, and asked my boss for advice on them (she keeps numerous dragons). I have also read numerous other care sheets, and taken other peoples' advice. I am currently setting their tank up as per instructions from numerous sources. They have a heat lamp and a UV source as well - rocks and branches for perching/basking and a water source to drink. Crickets aren't a problem as I keep numerous inverts that feed on crickets. Sand is dirt cheap (get it?) from Bunnings and I get cheap veterinary care through uni as I'm a vet student there (procedures are 50% off and everything else is cost).

I understand that they will be a responsibilty (every animal is, from mantids to crayfish to pythons and chickens) and I'm prepared to look after them. If I ever feel overwhelmed or unable to care for them I already have a very keen dragon person to take them off my hands/give me a little help; but I doubt it will come to that.

Thanks again for your concern (and advice). It's appreciated.

Phil

Hi Phil,

That's great. I'm relieved by your last post and am pleased you are being thorough in your search for information. Good luck with them, they are such a charismatic lizard, which I have no doubt you'll really enjoy.

Hi Phil,

That's great. I'm relieved by your last post and am pleased you are being thorough in your search for information. Good luck with them, they are such a charismatic lizard, which I have no doubt you'll really enjoy.

^
This is offtopic, but your photos are incredible! I've always seen your name in books but never knew you belonged to this site :)

Thanks Dave,

I appreciate it! I recently updated the www.centralnetteddragon.com website to include easier access to my photos. It also have a link to book a photo shoot for your reptile (or other pets) too! I have calendars and prints of all my reptile images plus more so feel free to check it out! I recently did a venomous shoot so I can wait to upload those shots - some very beautiful snakes!

Thanks again!

^
This is offtopic, but your photos are incredible! I've always seen your name in books but never knew you belonged to this site :)

Got them. I'm in LOVE.
IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Sorry for all the photos.

awsome!!! they are so cute.

i wouldnt use the red sand tho, as you can see their skin is stained and looks a bit horrrible. playsand wont stain, and its alot safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back