chameleons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richard70au

Reaction score
Is there a dealer in Australia that sells chameleons? I saw one in the wild once whilst visiting the mountain gorillas in Rwanda, it was an amazing thing and had turned a whiteish colour as it was on the front of our truck.
I would imagine that they would demand a high price.

You cant legally keep them in Australia.

Bit of a shame really, i rekon they would make a cool pet.

Cheers
D

There are a few breeders around and they're not that expensive I've heard, but as "we have it all" said, they are illegal here unfortunately, unless you own a zoo.

wow, i thought you could buy them with class 2 !

i really thought you could get them, i saw a tv show once and a person was showing their chameleons.

i really love chameleons. i think they are unique.

They are awesome pets!! My avatar is my veiled chameleon Clive when I was living in Canada. Got him at 2 weeks old and was amazing to watch him changing as he grew and learnt how to change colours. He had such a personality, loved myself, but hated my other half, if I walked into the room, he would be frantic to get out and climb to my shoulder, my OH though got hissed and struck at if he went near his cage. He is now living with a friend of mine in the states and has turned into a very big boy!!

BabyClive_int.jpg

We tried everything we could to get him back to Aus with us, but there was no possible way. Would LOVE to have another one!

Cheers

(sorry if thats pic is too big, couldnt get the stupid thing to resize.... blonde and a computer dummy! :D )

There is one species you can get on a class 2 (at least i know you can in NSW)

Chelosania brunnea (chameleon dragon). The are a whitish looking colour (one i saw was like a teal colour). but you would be hard pressed to find someone that had them.

If you are referring to chelosania brunnea it isn't a true chameleon im afraid but a native aussie lizard.

here are some pics...

Attachments

• chameleon dragon.jpg
    chameleon dragon.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Chelosania_brunnea.jpg
    Chelosania_brunnea.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 210
unfortunately your correct, but it's the closest thing to owning a chameleon an aussie will get, whether it be by name or by nature.

yeah but does anyone have any chameleon dragons in captivity?

Chameleons are easy to get in Aust. You just have to keep them illegally and be willing to take the risks that goes with doing that.

Chameleons are easy to get in Aust. You just have to keep them illegally and be willing to take the risks that goes with doing that.

Don't forget that our laws are there for a reason. Don't get me wrong, i absolutely adore chameleons i think they're the greatest lizards ever, but you never know wat can happen. The government doesnt want exotics because our ecosystem is so unique and fragile. U'd hate to destroy it, even if it did mean we had wild chameleons.

My gecko is a little Chameleon. Always changing colour xD

Lol, well chameleon geckos are not chameleons i can assure you, just as chameleon dragons are not chameleons either. You'll find that all reptiles have colour variations, mainly between light and dark, it's just that the "chameleon" named species have more notable changes, or they couldnt think of another name.

I would love a chameleon but too live in australia, you say people do have them were do you get them from PM me if anyone knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back