Check up check list for your pet.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake-Supplies

Reaction score
I was wondering on what I should look for in a snake to see if they are healthy...
I figured newbies (such as myself) could benefit from a post such as this.

I am no vet and am far from a snake expert, I had to do a fair bit of searching for this.

This is a rough check up/check list on snakes.
I BELIEVE nothing would beat a check up once a year from a reptile vet, until you know what you are doing comfortably. By doing so... you risk your snake catching something that it may not have got.

Observe the snake in its cage. It should be active or coiled. Look for signs of thinness, such as a pronounced backbone or asymmetry of appearance, a body section that shows swelling or collapse or an eye that is smaller than the other.

[ ]

Check for kinks in the backbone and tail, and for depressions in the rib cage. These signs indicate broken bones.

[ ]

Examine the mouth. The edges of the mouth should be flush when it is closed. If an edge sticks out because of some apparent swelling, there is a good chance that the snake has stomatitis, a bacterial infection of the gums.

awesome.jpg
<---healthy, it should appear a pinky blue, and clean.

[ ]

Check the skin. It must be free of injuries, bumps, and areas of raised scales or blisters.

[ ]

Check for mites. These tiny external parasites appear like crawling little black beads on the skin, or they can be seen as a tiny, raised edge when lodged in the corners of the eyes. Tiny white flecks on the snake’s body are a good indicator of mites. These are usually mite faeces. You can check this easily by using a white tissue (having it a little moist will help the mites stick) and running it over the snake and looking for mites that way.

burm_with_mites.jpg
<----
imagine trying to find that on a black or dark snake.

[ ]

A snake with good weight that is active in its cage and regularly flicks its tongue as it moves is probably healthy. Snakes that are coiled in a shelter or a cage corner are probably resting or sleeping. (IF BUYING The only way to make sure a snake is vigorous is to ask the seller to allow you to handle it or to show you how the snake moves in its cage or in his or her hands) Healthy snakes give a clear impression of strength and vigour when in hand. Snakes that look or feel weak and limp are just that.

[ ]

Gently press up on the underside of the throat and check to see if any bubbly mucus emerges from the sides of the mouth or the nostrils; this is a sign of respiratory infection. Gaping and forced exhalations are other signs of respiratory disease.

[ ]

Look at the underside of the snake. The belly scales should be flush with the body, usually shiny, with no signs of swelling between scales. The belly should not have brown or reddish discolored areas, or scales that appear raised or ragged as if the edges were chewed. These are all signs of possible skin or systemic bacterial infections. The anal scale(s) should rest flush with the base of the tail. There should be no crusting or faecal smears around the vent (anus). A swollen or crusted vent and faecal smears are signs of parasites or bacterial infections.

[ ]

Look for signs of neurological problems. It is always a good idea to watch a snake move, either in its cage or when handled, looking for odd behaviours that indicate neurological disorders or diseases. Behaviours include raising the front part of the body then flopping over and down, or jerky side-to-side movements as if the snake can’t keep its balance.

[ ]

Allow the snake to run through your hand, your fingers lifted against the middle of the belly. With light pressure, palpate for lumps or hard masses. Recently swallowed food will feel like a soft lump around the middle of the body. In ovulating females, the mature, rounded ova feel like small marbles.

[ ]

When a shed has been completed, you should always look for a complete shed.
Look closely for the end of the tail, and eye caps.
The tail should look like a point and the eye caps are shiny scales
(obviously where the eye's are)
- thanks you sara_sabian for your input on this thread.

FYI- I will be fixing this as I go.

Last edited:
wow, awesome idea, so many things i would never have thought to check for!!

Good list, I'd also add to check for retained shed (particularly the eyes) and dehydration.

If the snake appears well and healthy, an 'annual' checkup is pointless. If a reptile isn't exhibiting symptoms, there's nothing to look for. They are not like dogs & cats which need annual vaccinations regardless of their overall good health.

Jamie

An annual vet check up has the potential to do more harm then good. As Jamie said if the snake appears healthy (That list has many good things to look out for) then there is no need for a vet checkup

Dont you look at each individual snake Jamie and examine it to make sure everything is in order..lol..Well atleast if i get bored enough i know what im going to do...Back soon ive gotta go brush the Womas teeth,(he fed last night)

Last edited:
Is it better to have a condom and not need it, than need it and not have one?
Better to be safe than sorry.

Personally I would not regard it as pointless...

like I said, I'm not expert, and I may miss something.

Question- How could a vet check, once a year do more harm than good?
Once every 365 days?
20 times in 20 years?

DONT YELL AT ME, I'm only asking.

Last edited:
Its pointless as there is nothing they are going to find unless your snake is exhibiting symptoms which you should pick up on anyway. If you hand the vet a healthy snake thats all the vet will see. There is always the possibility that they can catch something at the vets so unless you see a reason to take your animal to the vet then i suggest dont do it. I've only been to the vet once in the past 6 years for a snake which has a fluid filled lump on its head, turned out to be nothing, not something i would make a habit of if i didnt need to

Vet consult rooms, like hospitals, are often full of sick and possibly infectious animals, and as a result, can be a source of significant problems if a healthy animal is introduced into that environment. They should only be visited when it is necessary. If you haven't learned what to look for after 12 months of reptile keeping, and if you're still convinced it's necessary after 20 years, then perhaps reptiles aren't for you.

Our 3 dogs live on a 100 acre property, never see other dogs on a day-to-day basis, and NEVER normally have fleas. Invariably, after they go to the vet for their 'annual checkup' and vaccinations, they come home with a few fleas. Our vet facility is for all intents & purposes, spotless, but other people's animals drop these parasites constantly. This could just as easily happen with snake mites (although they are far less long-lived than fleas).

Not sure about the condom question... I'm 62 so my needs probably aren't that urgent any more... I've got time to think about it and get to the supermarket if a desperate situation arises :).

Jamie

I still think I'll be taking mine in annually, at least for a while, untill I get the knack of things.

I may be over protective with my snakes, but at least I know I am doing my best for them.

I have fixed the ONCE A YEAR part for those who have been in the hobby for a while.

Hope it sorts things out.

exposing them to parasites and disease is best for them?

Like I said...
I don't know exactly what to look for.... I AM NO VET.
I would rather a few mites than a tumor I thought was nothing.

I have been in the game for 8 months.
So until I know I am comfortable in checking them out myself, I will be taking them to see Peter Cameron.

Let's just agree, to disagree.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing with you Joshua... or shouting... You kind of said something interesting: 'a tumor you thought was nothing..." In my book, a lump which is obvious to the keeper, and which has an unknown origin, is definitely worth a vet visit. You were talking previously about taking perfectly healthy snakes with no symptoms or signs of ill health to a vet for a checkup. If a snake is well fleshed, alert, feeding, managed with correct environmental parameters, has no 'tumors'... what's the vet going to do except relieve you of $50-$60 and tell you to come back next year?

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back