Checking tank security.. is it maximum or easily escapable?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey there,

Everyone here probably knows snakes are escape artists...

I recently purchased a 4 foot aquarium tank and have replaced the glass top with a wooden/mesh roof for breathing, lighting and heating (if required).

My snake doesn't come home with me for about a week and a half.

How can I check the security of my tank. One thing I don't want is my python slithering around the floor. But to be safe I will still make sure there is NO escape from the room...

I had first thought just catching an asian house gecko and putting it in there and seeing if it could escape... But they (so I have heard) carry diseases that can harm your snake (maybe??). Plus they have the added advantage of being able to walk up glass and upside down....

Second suggestion was green tree ants... Put a bunch in the tank, count how many you have put in... and re-check in the morning... I doubt they would fit through the mesh, but is that a fair test?

What have you guys done to test the validity of your homemade enclosures?

Even when you sometimes think you have made the ultimate maximum security prison, it appears a jail break can occur at any stage...

Plus, how much weight can a spotted pyhton lift? My roof isn't that heavy seeing as it is mostly mesh and light wood... I figure as she's only 9 months old she won't lift it, but when she's getting bigger she could be lifting the lid herself.

Well... suggestions are always handy... and I am sure many people have had tanks they have built themselves. Plus I continually read on this forum about escapees... I don't want to be just another statistic :D

Thanks!

SLiM

RE: Checking tank security.. is it maximum or easily escapab

Simple, just make sure there are NO gaps at all. Nevermind whether or not she can get to the gap (because she will), just make sure there are none to begin with.

Hmmm... easier said than done... I have made sure that the gaps are hard to find... but she's a snake, that's what they live their lives to do! I did the finger test... There's a gap for fitting the wooden roof over the tank... But... I laid a foam layer around the roof top to prevent her crawling through that. As far as I can tell there's no escapes... but hey... The real test is the snake test!

Hey Slim, moore than welcome to come around and have a look at what i am using had no escapes yet. if using a lift off or hinge up lid i would either put a latch on it or sit something heavy on top of the enclosure so they cant lift the lid. anyhow as long as you are comfortable with how secure it is then thats what matters and it sounds like you are planing on making it like fort nox

fort knox (haha) - close... just over precautious I guess... Might take you up on your offer... you have my phone number give us a call sometime :)

no worries will give you a buz some time this week

I have found, through the loss (and luckily subsequent find) of a little snake, that they can push amazing weights up if they have leverage.

With my aquarium enclosures I make a snug timber frame and silicone that around the sides of the top outer glass edges, level with the top of the glass. The silicone seals all gaps between frames and glass. Then I make a wooden framed lid, equal to the outer size of the frame, staple rat/mouse wire to the inside of the lid and nylon mesh over the top of the rat/mouse wire on the inside to protect noses from rubbing. The wooden framed lid is attached at the back with hinges and at the front it is closed up with 2 hasps.
If you fit this correctly, there will be no gaps, however, you might like to put a light weatherstrip border around the top of the tank frame to snug the lid up against.

Here are a couple of photos so you can see what I mean:

http://www.wrasse.net/photos/photo_view.php?id=335

http://www.wrasse.net/photos/photo_view.php?id=336

Yes, my tank looks nothing like that art work.. hehe.. but... I think functional, not to expensive and hopefully secure are my main operatives... I will take a photo when Peyote is living in there and post it... But to be safe... escape roots will be covered with a towel (there is only one). All spots where Peyote could hide if she did escape are sealed. But her tank is full of hides (upturned pots and aquarium half tunnels), a branch (yet ot be found), a good water bowl... and anything else a snake could dream of... why would she want to escape? Hehe... Silly question really... Thanks for your inputs...

a towel .....

Lol Kiwicam, if there was any money in it, I would. :p

Thanks for the compliment. :)

RE: Re: RE: Checking tank security.. is it maximum or easily

Wrasse- on something unrelated- what are your 'shelves' made of? I'd love to make something with a second level like that for our shingles, as I don't want to be hanging lights down into the tank, and a shelf would help eliminate that. I guess they might fall off it....I might make the shelf the entire width of the enclosure at one end. That would work better.

I'd appreciate your input wrasse- your enclosures look great!

Polystyrene slabs, glued together for strength, supported by the polystyrene 'poles' underneath, stanley knife shaped for appearance, hot air gun to finish the look. Then a couple of clear coats of aquadhere is applied all over to seal and I used coloured sand sprinkled over the last wet coat of aquadhere and stippled in with a brush to get the colour and blend.

Just put more pics up so you could see a little of the process:

http://www.wrasse.net/photos/album.php?id=32

I put in a pic of the turtle tank too. It was the first wall I did and was done with poly pieces cut from old broccoli boxes, so it didn't 'go together' as seamlessly. The turtle tank, due to the wall being underwater all the time, wasn't finished with aquadhere, instead, I finished it with terracotta coloured and sand coloured waterproof pool paint. The filtration is behind the rock feature on the left and exits as a waterflow over the flat above the waters surface. The filtration 'exit' is visible in the pic on the left. The rockface surface above the filter lifts out to allow access to the filter and heater behind.

:)

Stunning. Bloody Stunning.

I love it. Wrasse- You're a true legend! I'd love to do something a bit like that for our frogs- but apparently our frogs can drown in water deeper than 10cm. At least thats what they tell me.

You've given me some seriously great ideas! Have I mentioned you're a legend?

Good stuff Wrasse, the adaption of the lid for the glass tank is the best I've seen, and so simple! Excellent!

Jamie.

Hey slim, try and post a pic before the snake comes then if there is any thing dodge or harmfull to the snake or even something important missing then any one
observing can point them out to you.
Jay

Cheers for that.. I am trying ot take a photo now... might go on extra lighting!!!

There's a need for some tidy up to do on it yet....

The ground cover is going to be covered with several rocks around the outside. There are two adequate hides in there. One small enough so Peyote can touch the sides. The branch is new. The tank looks a little barron because of the lack of rocks.

I'm keen for constructive sugestions.

The ground cover is shade cloth because I don't want to use non-reusable items. Maybe a mistake for the beginner, but I will learn soon enough.

Cleaning is easy in that sense though. Once Peyote is out and about, it is easy to remove the branch, the rocks (still to be added) and the hides to leave the shade cloth which can be washed in the sink, hose or where ever. A new shade cloth (I have plenty) is added.

There is a theromostat on the heated end controlling a heatpad under the glass. The shade cloth warms a little, so I will be putting rocks above it so Peyote doesn't cook herself.

The cool end keeps around 25 - 30'C (cool???). Without the heat pad overnight it can drop to 22'C.

So lay us with your suggestions... I have till next Wednesday to have your ideas...

I'm pleased enough with security... considering all the extra weight on top. Gaps are very limited!

Thanks in advance!

looks pretty sweet, doent seem escapeable but if she does find ways the best type of tanks are the ones with the sliding glass pannels at the front as you can put a showcase lock on them and presto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back