Chit Chat posts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be happy to see Chit Chat drop off the 'Last Forums Post List' too.

Often I only have a few minutes to check the forums and see if there is any new exciting herp news or someone desperately seeking a quick answer to a reptile problem and wading through all the Chit Chat posts clutters up that quick few minutes of herp time I have.

I don't have a problem with the chit chat posts. They can be fun and a good break, when I have the time. But they aren't what Aussie Pythons and Snakes was basically set out to be (as I understand it through the forum title), a Herp forum to discuss reptilian related issues, news and problems.

Flame disclaimer: I have no aggro with anyone here and am not trying to pick a fight. Nor am I on one side or the other. I just want the reptile related stuff a little clearer to see. :)

Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

alienpunk said:
No Becs, there isn't irony in a request to keep countless threads about people's boobs, bands and big egos from the front page

if you wanna talk herps, thats what the herp forum is for....if not that is what chitchat is for.....i dont see the problem....

if you dont like chitchat then dont grace us with your elitist presence, its simple.......

The point is that these types of discussions push 'genuine' questions off the homepage.

If you want to use chit chat, then go to chit chat............which I have done in the past. But if I only have 5 minutes, I'll check the recent posts and log off.

Perhaps we need to see what can be done about removing chit chat from the scrolly thingy. I will bring it to the attention of, um, someone and see who else needs to have it brought to their attention.

Wasn't the issue touched on once before with Slateman or Lutzd? Can anyone remember the outcome?

I believe the chit chat forum is for chit chat, it doesn't matter that this is a herp related site, people should feel free to chit chat about whatever they want. However, as Green Willow would have seen last night, with the recent jump in members some serious questions from people who need help are not being answered/noticed as the threads are falling off the main page at a very rapid rate. I believe that, if it is possible, having the chit chat threads not appear on the recent posts list would be a good thing.

As I understand it the site in its current state is how it was envisaged in the first place and is the way it will stay.

Situations change, though, and perhaps things need a re-think. The matter will be raised again.

threads are falling off the main page at a very rapid rate. I believe that, if it is possible, having the chit chat threads not appear on the recent posts list would be a good thing.

I agree keep the important reptile info on the scrolly thing only.
Mayby a second scroll for the chatters?

Jason

Does anyone know why I can't post a topic? I just wanted to talk about shinglebacks and post some photos and the screen just refreshes and nothing happens.... :?

if you wanna talk herps, thats what the herp forum is for....if not that is what chitchat is for.....i dont see the problem....
We all agree on that point... although the essence of this thread is not stopping the "chit chat", rather the people who choose to use this forum, and joined it because of its dedication to a subject close to our hearts, would prefer not to have to wade through the drivel to find the topics of interest... and the minority who seem addicted to chit chat, whom bombard the "latest forum post" window, could find their way through the menus to the appropriate section, rather than inflicting it upon everybody else.

although it would take the "look at my band" type posts out of the way of the majority of the traffic... so I do understand your vehement stance against such a move, (DON'T PUSH ME! - MOD)

Does anyone know why I can't post a topic? I just wanted to talk about shinglebacks and post some photos and the screen just refreshes and nothing happens....

try again mate its probably just alot of posts going up at once...persist and it will happen for ya

I would be happy if they put say the last 5 or so posts out of each forum on the home page or scrolling thing.
I would also be happy if they made more forums that are more clearly defined so it was easier to find things.
I would also be happy if they took chit chat off the scolling thing.
I would also be happy if they didnt do anything and left the site how it is :)

With the amount of posts made in general these days you miss most of the threads if you dont go into the individual forums anyway even without "chit chat".

so I do understand your vehement stance against such a move, Alienjunk.

hahah love the name....anyway i think bailing the chitchat from the recent posts thread is fine, it might calm down the herpers who are so violently against reading our meaningless chatter....and allow questions to get answered, but i am dead against those who consider chitchat less important...perhaps it is less INTERESTING to posters like Wrasse and Miss Kersten, but some people dont have families and use the chitchat as their grounding in a busy day sitting in front of a computer....it is their contact with other human beings....dropping the chitchat from the recent posts would be a good idea, as long as it is not abolished in whole, as quite simply us newbs do not have the knowledge to talk herps constantly, so the hit numbers would drop and hence the membership numbers, as the site would simply become a q&a forum, leaving the serious herpers to then chitchat amongst themselves and then when newbies come along the divide between casual chatter and elitist would be further widened.....now i hope that makes sense.....

I have never at any stage argued for the removal of chit chat or even indicated a desire to do so :wink:

If Chit Chat can be removed from the scroll, then there is a way to view both systems that will keep everyone happy. :)

If Chit Chat was removed from visibility in the scrolling 'Last Forums Posts' and off the front page: ( http://www.aussiepythons.com/index.html ) then the purely reptile interested people, or those in a hurry, could view these to see what is new on the board in the way of reptile related threads.

That leaves the 'View Posts Since Last Visit' ( top right on this page -> http://www.aussiepythons.com/PNphpBB2.html ) for those interested in having both the Chit Chat and the Reptile/For Sale threads visible at the same time. Just refresh this page each time you have looked through the posts visible and any new ones pop up on demand.

I have both these options bookmarked and it's simply a case of deciding which view to choose.

:)

Wrasse, you have all the answers...

Vote Wrasse for President !!!

Being a democratic system, I am allowed to change my Vote !

Re: RE: Chit Chat posts

alienpunk said:
perhaps it is less INTERESTING to posters like Wrasse and Miss Kersten

Back off and go and read my post again before you attack me please. I clearly said I have nothing against Chit Chat and if you go look at Chit Chat threads you will see me posting in them often.

What my post said, that you took to mean something entirely different was:
Wrasse said:
I don't have a problem with the chit chat posts. They can be fun and a good break, when I have the time.
Flame disclaimer: I have no aggro with anyone here and am not trying to pick a fight. Nor am I on one side or the other. I just want the reptile related stuff a little clearer to see. :)

Don't take your aggro out on me. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back