cicadas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

$NaKe PiMp

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
was just sitting here on the computer ,when i heard a big bang on the window.

i went outside to have a look and found a cicada.

i can remember in primary school we used to catch them and some kids would sell them

with certain colours worth more

who else used to do this?

this one is i have here is the green form of the species Cyclochila australasiae
  • Cyclochila australasiae
    • Green Grocer
    • Yellow Monday
    • Chocolate Soldier
    • Blue Moon
    • Masked Devi
  • Macrotristria angularis
    • Cherrynose or Whiskey Drinker
  • Tettigarcta crinita
    • Hairy Cicada
  • Pauropsalta extrema
    • Typewriter
  • Lembeja paradoxa
    • Bagpipe Cicada
  • Cystosoma saundersii
    • Bladder Cicada
  • Aleeta curvicosta
    • Floury Baker
  • Aleeta curvicosta
    • Redeye
    • Cherryeye
Anapsaltoda pulchra
    • Golden Emperor
  • Arenopsaltria fullo
    • Sandgrinder
  • Arunta perulata
    • White Drummer
  • Macrotristria godingi
    • Tiger Prince [
  • Thopha saccata
    • Double Drummer
  • Psaltoda plaga
    • Black Prince
  • Tamasa tristigma
    • Brown Bunyip
cicada19.jpg

Bass love eating them lol.We used to get the green grocers in sydney they were heaps bigger than the others but we dont get them up the coast well havent seen any.Noisy little blitters.

australian cicadas are the loudest insects in the world 120db up close

so that is loud LOL

We gets thousands of black princesses and not many of the other varieties. I love seeing the big greengrocers. Their is a pretty nice red brown variety but they are also pretty rare.

We gets thousands of black princesses and not many of the other varieties. I love seeing the big greengrocers. Their is a pretty nice red brown variety but they are also pretty rare.

i was reading the black princes only breed on she oak trees and you dont see them in the citys as much but around rivers where she oaks grow

thats interestinting, and i dont think it is completly true. Their are several trees in my yard which get covered by them in the thousands. I live pretty close to the bush (In berowra ie outskirts of sydney) but we definatly get them on other trees than sheeoaks.

I dont know though their might be some truth to that.

the sound is relaxing in a weird, im-a-loser sorta way... get lots around here, im not sure of types, but we find the odd shell/skin thing around the place.
Josh

Hmm very interesting, thanks for brining that up Snake, I googled them and it appears what i thought was a black prince is in fact a red eye(which is also completly black except the eye).

i hadn't seen them for ages but i saw one today at work but it was only cos the kids decided to jump on it :(

They are good herp/fish food, i used to be scared of them when i was really young for some reason, especially the larvae, they were just so evil and you could tell they were planning an attack of some sort(well so i thought at the time) :lol:

Cicadas are found in many parts of the world, each has many varieties. Common names get very confusing as most of them are made up by 10 year olds, as far as I'm concerned black ones with red eyes are Black Princes, and they will breed on normal gum trees ect, though they do prefer bushy areas (the Shire is chokkas with them). Rob, you forgot about "Tom Thumbs" the mini cicadas that always appear before the others. My Fav, and the one that had the highest pull at my school was the gaint Double Drummer, these were by far the largest cicada and very rare in my area, ( I have only caught one :( ) I used to go and collect them emerging from the ground each night, then stick them on the blinds in my bedroom, and wake up to find them all drying their wings, these days I feed them to my beardies.....10 crickets in every one.

(the Shire is chokkas with them.

There is plenty around the shire at the moment.
I recently saw a lady with one caught in her hair screaming the typical phrase "there in my hair" up in arms!! :)

I work in Nowra on the South Coast of NSW and there's been heaps of them lately. I can hear them right now outside my window.

you will hear different ones in different stages through out summer,
they only live a few weeks as an adult

occasionally my chooks used to try and eat the greengrocers if they were silly enough to be sitting on the ground, but they'd start the buzzing noise and scare the crap out of the chooks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back