Cichlids! I hardly knew yee!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they have been in it for months its not due to new water or new fish or anything like that. I keep my smaller tank at 26 but the cichlids are quite happy around 29, this wouldnt be killing them anyways its only a few degrees difference

they have been in it for months its not due to new water or new fish or anything like that. I keep my smaller tank at 26 but the cichlids are quite happy around 29, this wouldnt be killing them anyways its only a few degrees difference
Only 4 months ,it does sound like a amonia spike then.
As the tanks is new it hasn't built up enoughf bacteria yet to balance the nitrate and amonia levels and has created a spike.
Follow the steps i said above,and if kept a little cooler like 26-27 fish stress less 29 is fine but on a hot day could creep up to 30 or higher and could be deadly.There is i big difference in a couple deg.

its an ehiem canister filter, powerful enough for a tank my size, has sponge medium inside. i thought it might be ammonia so ima keep an eye on it and change water as suggested. they seem to be doin alot better since i did the 1/2 water change.

Only 4 months ,it does sound like a amonia spike then.
As the tanks is new it hasn't built up enoughf bacteria yet to balance the nitrate and amonia levels and has created a spike.
Follow the steps i said above,and if kept a little cooler like 26-27 fish stress less 29 is fine but on a hot day could creep up to 30 or higher and could be deadly.There is i big difference in a couple deg.

nope, the tank and filter were used, i cleaned the filter in tank water to keep bacteria.

Good, sounds like your on track,i would add some matrix to your canister it will help 100% its expensive but well worth it,1 litre will do ya cost about $20 a litre.

Ph and hardness are not an issue. Since most fish wholesalers keep all tanks at a neutral ph and a low hardness. Temp is not an issue unless you live down south. I've kept and bred fish on the coast with no heaters for many years now no problem. The main killer is over-breeding. 1 batch a year is all is normal in nature. What is their diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back