Click clack condensation?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. We have 5 click clacks, lined up on tiles which sit on top of a heat cord. We recently got our two albino Darwin's and searched everywhere for the same small water dishes we have for our other hatchies but were unable to find the same size and have had to use the next size up. They are all ceramic bowls and the smaller ones seem fine but our larger bowls seem to secrete water from underneath and cause the paper towel to become wet all around the bowl and if left for more than a day or two, start to smell mouldy. This means I have to get in almost every day to change the substrate and wash, dry and refill the water.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how do you get around it. I imagine it's not too good for my snakes and although there isn't any physical mould that I can see, I still hate opening the click clack to the smell.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah :)

Oh and I can take pics if it would help.

See if you can get some plastic dishes?
I use for the young ones *cough mummys dipping bowls*
Very small.

p.s- I tried looking for stripey socks, couldn't find any.
The chick said you can get them from markets now sometimes, but that "craze" has gone.

The craze has probably long past as that pic was taken about 6 years ago but I still quite often see them for sale.

I haven't been using plastic bowls as I thought they would be knocked over easily and that would suck.

Some ceramic bowls are less expensive than others. When I had my pet store I bought in a heap of cheaper ones for a breeder only to have him return them because they leaked the same as you have described. So we ended up buying the dearer ones - usually light blue or light pick glazing inside and never had problems. But if the glazing is cracked anywhere that will allow water to seap through.

Plastic bowls with wide bottoms aren't easily tipped over. I use some cheap plastic small animal bowl which has a wider base than the top of the bowl. But of course, as babies grow and get heavier you may need to change the bowls. Don't give them bowls that have the holes at the base like some dog bowls have. Snakie will get in underneath it and tip it over.

Ikea Galej tealight holder... $1.96 for 4. (6cm high)
or
Ikea Glimma candle holder.. $4.95 for 6. (3cm high)

Work a treat for hatchies. Clean easy and heavy enough not to get tipped over.

Attachments

• glimma-candle-holder__74062_PE190824_S4.jpg
    glimma-candle-holder__74062_PE190824_S4.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 53
  • galej-tealight-holder__29990_PE117777_S4.jpg
    galej-tealight-holder__29990_PE117777_S4.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 51
When I lived in townsville I found mini ramekins in overflow and sam's warehouse, another place to try is the chinese grocery/kitchen shop at hyde park on charters towers rd, they sell a whole range of little bowls really cheap too

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I might need to go searching for new bowls for them. Sigh.

Thanks again.

If you can afford to keep snakes then a few bucks on some dishes isn't going to break the bank. If the budget is that tight then priorities probably need to be re assessed.

I just got a large pot holder for my juvie bredli. I wanted something that (if he chose to) he could get in there and swim and soak and whatever. I've seen him on a couple nights he'll take a big breath, then slide to the other side, get out, do a u-turn and go back through ... he does that till he gets bored of it lol

Cool side.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, I have enough money! The sigh was because we visited every pet shop in Townsville looking for the last bowls! I found some small plastic bowls tucked away in my cupboards though, so I'll see how they go.

You shouldn't assume I have no money. And if I did, how would I have afforded two albino Darwin's?

Thanks again for all the advise. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back