Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

channi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of vens climbing?

I had a call last week from a lady in Rosebud.
She was distraught and panicked big time.
The story is, she was cutting the top of a hedge and standing on the top rung of a four step stepladder.
She was happily using her hedge clippers and doing the right thing,goggles ect, and she felt a whack in the back of her head.
She turned and saw a large tiger snake lining her up for another whack.
Fortunatly the said snake had a young starling sticking out of it's mouth at the time,which hugely negated the strike..
I telephoned my buddy who is licenced and lived closer and he went to the address but couldnt find the
hungry snake.
So no pics, but venomous snakes (tigers anyway) love baby chicks and need to climb to get them.
Whenever i have a tiger snake enclosure as a display i alway give them stuff to climb on.

Google Stephen's banded snakes, bound to be some there.

I do, but they're not mine, so Im not gonna stick them up. Snakenurse has some rippers.

sort of...

Attachments

• tn_baxter 008.jpg
    tn_baxter 008.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 132
  • tn_baxter 009.jpg
    tn_baxter 009.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 106
Heres a few of mine posed on a log,lol.
Not quite the same as a wild ven clibing a native tree though

Attachments

• k.jk..JPG
    k.jk..JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 42
  • u6kyik.jpg
    u6kyik.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 45
  • sweet.jpg
    sweet.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 48
  • voodoo2a.jpg
    voodoo2a.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 50
  • gypsy5.jpg
    gypsy5.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 42
No Pics but...
The other day I went on a brown snake rescue in an aviary, when I got there I saw that the guy who called me had a full tree branch thing set up in the aviary and sitting at the very top of it (way above my head) was the brown snake. I ended up getting another taller rescuer (I don't reach 5 ft) to come and give a hand. It was the best natured brown i have seen, very quiet.

I need to start taking my camera with me :)

Wow thanks guys, someone told me vens don't climb and i found the thought bizarre, as far as i was aware not all snakes are abhorral but most will climb if necessity dictates. Same guy told me snakes don't have bones...lol... i have heard that one before but the non climbing vens threw me.

There are 4 main arboreal/semi arboreal species of elapid in Australia - The three Broad Headed Species (Pale Headed, Broad Headed and Stephens Banded) and the Rough Scale Snake. All 4 are dangerously venomous.

It isn't common for any of the other elapids to climb, but they do do it. Tiger Snakes and Copperheads regularly bask 1-2 metres off the ground in shrubbery, and I have also seen Eastern Browns and Red Bellies some distance off the ground. I usually liken them to dogs - it's very unusual for them to climb, but it does happen!

Jonno you forgot the (although not a ven) The elusive and very secretive arboreal Moloch. I believe that you are one of very few to capture that on film? How about showing that one of for us :lol:

o a moloch is a thorny devil huh?whats an arboreal moloch and why is it so rare on tape?

Not the best pic of a Stephens' banded snake. He's about 1.5 metres up a tree.

Stewart

I do, but they're not mine, so Im not gonna stick them up. Snakenurse has some rippers.

Here ya go, a Easten Brown and a Collets.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• eb-climbing.jpg
    eb-climbing.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 59
  • eb-climbing2.jpg
    eb-climbing2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 11072006761.jpg
    11072006761.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 11072006762.jpg
    11072006762.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 11072006763.jpg
    11072006763.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 47
i would of thought they would all have to be able to climb to a certain extent??
i mean you cant go round or under everything :p

I had a callout last Sunday, and a family was sitting watching TV in their lounge room, and a 2 foot eastern brown dropped from the curtain pelmet onto the floor next to a 10 yr old boy on a beanbag! There was an air conditioner in the wall next to the curtain with a small gap to outside, and a tree or vine outside. They definately climb. It was about 38 degrees that day, so he thought he'd join the family in the cool of the lounge!

I ripped the whole room apart and couldn't find it. Ended up hack sawing an unused gas heater from the wall, taking it outside, unscrewing it, and there he was curled up! They were very happy he was out of their lounge :) They ended up doing some redecorating with the heater gone, so they were happy bout that too LOL :)

He was captured and released a long way down the road in the scrub by a lake :) They're so quick at that size - hard to catch with a hook!

hey snakenurse, where did that photo come from? It would be pretty hard feeding all of them devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back