Close encounter - need reassurance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that second photo is a peninsular tiger snake which is VERY poisonous and dangerous. get away from it at once. one bite, no help and your a gonna. dont you guys know anything. im only a newbie and i know that.

that second photo is a peninsular tiger snake which is VERY poisonous and dangerous. get away from it at once. one bite, no help and your a gonna. dont you guys know anything. im only a newbie and i know that.
pull your head in !:evil:...........take no notice ..as was said its a Brown tree snake ,the risk to you is minimal,they are rear fanged,)their venom can sometimes give you a reaction,but the chances of it inflicting a bite is small,they are known for their mock striking,but basically its all bark ...they are active at night and are known by the name's of 'dolls eye ' 'night tiger '...some say that a bite may effect females worse then males due to our lymphatic system ,but not 100% sure on that...look up colubridae of Australia on the net and you will be able to read about the tree snakes....and that is a beautiful dark one ;)

As all have stated (except 1 twit) it is a Brown Tree Snake. They can be kept under a basic licence in Qld.
Not that this is relevant, as with bee stings some react differently! But I have been bitten twice by BTS with no ill effect. (except a very slight twitch only detectable when i am awake :rolleyes::lol:) (just kidding)
BUT! I see no one has replied to the netting question? It is illegal, inhumane and please drop the idea.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for the replies and the reassurance.

The second photo of the snake that everyone says is dark - that might just be lighting and not the snake? Anyway, he/she is not that dark in real life, except when seen up close at night in bed!!!!

Reassuring also to hear that the bite is not so bad. What should I do if I am bitten though? Do I go to the hospital? And if I do, am I safe to drive there (20 mins away) myself or call someone else or an ambulance?

Or do I make myself a cup of tea?

:D

Hi all, thanks for the replies and the reassurance. The second photo of the snake that everyone says is dark - that might just be lighting and not the snake? Anyway, he/she is not that dark in real life, except when seen up close at night in bed!!!! Reassuring also to hear that the bite is not so bad. What should I do if I am bitten though? Go to the hospital? And if I do, am I safe to drive there (20 mins away) myself or call someone else or an ambulance?
you should be ok ,but if you feel anything that is not right go to the hospital better safe then sorry ...no one can really predict what your reaction may be ,we can only generalise on the statistics that have been experienced by others ...but on average you shouldnt have that much of a worry:D

Thanks - you're right - better safe than sorry!!

As an ex QLD reptile keeper who has had a ton of experience catching and getting slammed by this species, trust me when I tell you that you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The only exception would be the extremely remote chance of an allergic reaction which is true when dealing with any foreign bio-logical substances I suppose.
You would have more chance of hospitalization from a bee sting.
Enjoy their company , they are awesome harmless critters.

umm just for a spin could it be something else,,,,,,,,,,,,,
[SIZE=+1]SECRETIVE SNAKE [/SIZE]
(Cryptophis pallidiceps)
hey they have orange flanks, i dunno just a thought

awaiting your abuse:D
cheers
cozzie

Attachments

• Secretive%20Snake.jpg
    Secretive%20Snake.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 93
I have to add, you must have bigger dangly bits than me to be happy to sleep with that thing crawling around, dangerous or not. Not to mention sleeping in a shed in FNQ. It must be stinking hot.

Whats the name Dolls Eyes,never heard of that for a brown tree snake,i cant beleive how dark the second picture is.

Wow! He's dark in that second photo!

- He's not going to seek you out to bite you, but if he lands in bed with you, and you roll on top if him, he might bite you.
- You probably won't be able to sex it from a distance
- I haven't heard of any statistics for brown tree snake longevity, but I don't think 10* years would be unreasonable.
- WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt

Hope this helps,

Stewart
* Please note: this figure may and/or may not have been plucked out of thin air

:lol: What a funny thread I can't stop laughing :lol: watch he doesn't try to size you up to eat you. I agree on the BTS, their beady eyes are a dead give away. LOL, he won't hurt you. As said reaction is different with everyone, some dont' even have a reaction. But just be alert. do you suffer any allergies or anaphalactic then you should call your doctor for advice.

Last edited:
I have to add, you must have bigger dangly bits than me to be happy to sleep with that thing crawling around, dangerous or not. Not to mention sleeping in a shed in FNQ. It must be stinking hot.

Ha ha!! :D
I can confirm that, if you're a bloke, YOU most definitely have bigger dangly bits than me, not the other way around...

And the shed, although yes stinking hot during the day, it's actually cooler than a block home at night.

wow, what an experience... is it advisable to leave water out for it? uno somewhere not inside the shed unless you want to encourage it to keep coming inside.
But seeing as tho its quite hot, i would proably leave some water out for it.

for a brown tree snake to actually envonomate you he/she would have to really chew on you but as everybody else said dont worry to much go make a cup of tea have a sit down and suss out how you feel if you feel funny go to hospital and get a bite identification test done.

otherwise they are generally a good snake and yeah no rodents in your room you lucky devil i wish i had snakes liveing in my room..... oh wait there are :D

Put it this way, I'd sooner that BTS have a nibble of me than a reasonable sized carpet python...or a host of other things you'd be likely to find in a shed in FNQ! :lol:

Some of them are quite flighty when surprised, arc-up and look like the most deadly thing on the planet, but they're not. Great to see someone come on here and ask for advice, take photos to get those answers and above all have some respect for our wildlife. It's really refreshing to see! Bravo! ;)

for a brown tree snake to actually envonomate you he/she would have to really chew on you :D

I've been envenomated twice by BTS, and as others have said, it's nothing to worry about. I experienced some itching and redness at the bite which passed in a few hours. I think the bee-sting comparison works quite well. I've been bitten by waspy-hornet type things in FNQ that were much more unpleasant.
My first time she got to chew on me for a while as we were trying to get her off my wrist without damaging her teeth. My second envenomation was a surprise though, a misfire at feeding time saw her tag me on the webbing between my thumb and forfinger.

As others have said, enjoy your guest, as a species they're a favourite of mine and fascinating to watch. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back