coccicidia and worms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olive

Reaction score
How do beardys get coccicidia?Also with worms is there a treatment that u can buy and give it to them your self?Thanks

There is a paste called wormout available at the vet surgery, this is a fruity tasting paste and once inside your beardies mouth he/she will love it, repeat after two weeks and clean the substrate of your cage as soon as there are feacals present.

thanks insectovor does this also kill coccocidia?

As far as I know coccidia is untreatable.
Sorry, incurable.

Coccidia is troublesome but not untreatable. The major problem is that the parasite eggs (oocyst) survive in the environment for some time. In an outbreak , the cage will need to be stripped clean daily. The best treatment is Baycox (Toltrazuril) at 20 mg/kg daily for 3 consecutive days. You must rely on faecal testing to diagnose and to determine when treatment is successful. Mortality, particularly in young dragons can be very high and rapid.

Most animals will show some form of coccidia in a faecal float (the only way to diagnose it), it's the actual amount present that is the concern.
Reptile science "worm rid" for your other internal parasites.

i read just now that they are living in the beardies no matter what but when outbreaks occur it can be dangerous,what would have to happen to trigger off an outbreak?thanks

The easy answer is captivity. In the wild a reptile will rarely encounter its own faeces again so reinfection is unlikely. I captivity the chance of meeting your own faeces again is quite high so reinfection is common. This leads to superinfection i.e. infection at levels much higher than the host or parasite ever intended. I generally recommend to my clients that zero coccidia is the only safe level in a captive situation. Outbreaks generally occur when large numbers of animals are housed together, are stressed (food competition, aggression, transport) and hygeine is not perfect (but it does not have to occur is squalor either).

if i keep them out side then theres no need for supplements is there?HERPTIVITE AND CALCIUM.thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back