cockatoos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sid94

Reaction score
hi everyone i want to get a sulphur crested cockatoo and am wounding how much they cost,
how big they get,what is a good size cage and are they good for a beginer and any other info
on this topic pm me for more info

Get yourself a GOOD book on them and read it front to back, then get anotherone and do the same. These birds are prone to problems if not provided with enough stimulas and environmental enrichment. Don't go keeping one in a normal 'cocky cage' (ie, 1m square), even if it is tame and let out all the time. Get a strong avairy and make sure you want the bird for life, because it can't be released when it starts to screech at 5pm everyday, like clockwork. A smaller parrot may be better for a beginner, it all depends on your confidence with birds. They are a beautiful animal, though. ;)

They are loud and get very destructive when bored. be prepared to replace perched every few weeks or provide enough stimulus that they don't destroy the perches out of boredom. they are smart and very srtong beak wise. on a lighter note, they can learn to talk and will swear if thats all they hear

hi everyone i want to get a sulfur crested cockatoo and am wounding how much they cost,
how big they get,what is a good size cage and are they good for a beginner and any other info
on this topic pm me for more info

They can live to 100 are apt to be like spoilt 3 year olds at times would recommended an established tame trained one first up.

Check with neighbors very loud at times but great watch dogs.
Get a good one and they are fantastic hand reared is worth the extra money over the wild caught.
You would be looking at about 200
Cage wise super stron and escape proof
I have several:D

Our neighbours have a cockatoo that screams it's lungs out every morning, drives me insane.

Is that normal? Or a sign of boredom?

I'll second the escape proof - they are VERY good at latches and their beaks are darn near as versatile as a hand - use a lock on the door

Miss B, yeah, its increased by boredom, but they also do it every morning and afternoon in the wild.

if you get one and are localish - newcastle, let me know, they love tearing up bamboo shoots and stems and i can give you heaps to keep it occupied

Damn, that's nuts. Every time I hear it screech I fantasize about wringing it's little neck :lol:

Make sure the cage has thick bars and give them bird toys made to chew on!!!!

I used to bred these, but have majors now.
They are very noisy especially late in the afternoon around sundown....

Cockies can get a disease called ''Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease'' research this and make sure that the bird u get has been tested for it (with vet certificate as proof) and from a genuine breeder as it is common among cockies.....

I would prefer my major mitchells over a sulphur anyday, but u need a licence for those.

Also galahs make great pets aslong as they are looked after properly, smaller and not as loud as cockies, although they do try and compete on the noise scale ;)

as for price, you would be looking around the $6-800 mark for a good priced hand raised and vet tested one

I've never kept any of the cockatoos, but I've worked with them occassionally, and I know people who have kept them - I definitely wouldn't call them a good bird for a beginner. And if they decide they don't like you, or a member of the family, it can become a real problem.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back