Commercial reptile breding in QLD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpossum

Reaction score
For thoes who are interested, and seeking comments on reptile business in QLD.

We are looking at breeding a few species of reptiles next year, not unlike many other people.
We are seeking approval from the QLD government to be allowed to register a business for breeding reptiles in QLD, as a main income source and for taxation reasons. We are not going to become a 'factory' just operating like any normal keeper but just able to claim income and expences from the keeping and breeding of various snakes and lizards.

I asked my local MP to put forward a proposal for us and here is the reply from the Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation.

Your thoughts are appreciated, and please keep it clean and civil as some of may be included in our responce and hopefully be a win for anybody else in QLD who wants to do this.

Cheers.

“Thank you for your letter of 25 November 2008 making representation on behalf of ................................................................................................... concerning commercial breeding and selling of Black headed python, Woma python and albino carpet pythons.”

“The legislative framework of the Nature Conservation Act 1992 (NCA) provides for the commercial use of three species of pythons: the children’s python, spotted python and stimson’s python, all of which are protected species of a ‘least concern’ conservation status. These are well established and popular in trade and have no special husbandry needs. There are no concerns regarding the viability of these species in the wild.”

“There is a commercial interest in a range of other pythons. However, their potential to be targeted for illegal collection from the wild, with associated local extinctions, has prevented their listing for use in commercial breeding or sale. This is the case for the black-headed python (although a ‘least concern’ species) and the woma python, which is listed as a ‘rare’ species.Wildlife management experience has generally shown that the more individuals of a species entering the commercial market, the more challenging it becomes to distinguish unlawful from lawful possession and trade.”

“There is no ability under the NCA to authorise ................................... to commercially breed and sell black headed and woma pythons. Black headed pythons can be bred and sold under a Recreational Wildlife Licence, but only in line with taxation restrictions that define a recreational use from a commercial use. This has the effect of limiting the numbers of (Queensland) black headed pythons which may otherwise be involved in trade and associated movement within and outside of Queensland.”

“The NCA also seeks to ensure that wild populations of protected wildlife are not impacted by the escape, or release of hybrids or mutations of their species. Accordingly, the NCA prohibits persons from knowingly breed an animal selectively to produce a hybrid or mutation of a protected animal. As albinism is considered to be mutation, this includes breeding of albino carpet pythons.”

Last edited:
What a let down. What i dont understand is....... you can breed as many black headeds, womas and carpets on your recreational license as you wish, but they wont let you register as commercial with the only difference being that you can claim expenses back? how ridiculous. being listed as recreational or commercial doesnt affect what aniamls or how many you breed then? just the tax element.

well fingers crossed for you and i hope you win your argument.

Claiming expenses is a federal taxation issue which has little to do with state wildlife regulations.

I think that's absolutely ridiculous. In my view, it makes more sense to breed more in captivity to stop them being taken from the wild. I doubt you'd be able to make a main source of income off Anteresia.
And albino's considered a mutation that should not be introduced into wild populations?!
Yes because albino's do not occur naturally in the wild at all and were artificially made by humans......

I think that's absolutely ridiculous. In my view, it makes more sense to breed more in captivity to stop them being taken from the wild. I doubt you'd be able to make a main source of income off Anteresia.
And albino's considered a mutation that should not be introduced into wild populations?!
Yes because albino's do not occur naturally in the wild at all and were artificially made by humans......

The majority of albino pythons in Australia originated fro wild caught albino base animals.

Jay, it's not that QPWS are limiting caliming taxable expenses, more that (in theory) they're limiting how much you can earn from the hobby. The upshot is, if you want a tax regsitered, legally compliant breeding set up there's only so much you can sell. If you want to sell privately you can only earn up to $70,000 per annum as a hobbyist and I would imagine that as a hobbyist you'd not be entitled claim any expenses. Seems a fair deal to me since $70,000 (with no tax paid) is more than some skilled tradesmen who put in 40 hours per work of physically demanding work can earn. Actually, I think the tradies are being ripped off....

There's no new news in the QPWS response cjpossum - what were you thinking they'd say?

they certainly thought it out very well qpws.
they know if you will be making that kind of money out of it, you will need to hire help.
if you hire help you must be a business.
if you are a business you have to have a commercial licence
on a commercial licence you cant sell those herps.
hahaha
worst thing is now they know your intensions.
and they will be watching for sure.
ive had a commercial licence for some time now in qld. and it is not a fun thing to have. spot checks from rangers can get you some serious fines.
i (touch wood *knocks on head*) have never recieved a fine but i have heard plenty of stories from others who have . at the time the ranger walks in that door if you have crap or urine in an enclosure or if you have not done your record book from a death that happened an hour earlier it is too bad you will cop a fine and you will be seen more often.
hey good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back