Community tank.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damiieen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was just wondering what can be kept with a bluey (full grown) in a 4x2x2ft enclosure.

And

The same for a beardie baby so ill get a hatchie of whatever i can get, same enclosure size.

Thank You

Ps. Sorry if its been posted.

they have different habitat requirements so i would say no just my opinion

i have a beardy that shared a tank with a shingleback as a youngster (i got her as a 7 year old) the poor thing has 2 mauled/stiff front feet, ribs popping out all over the place and a few scars on her face,...a really sweet girl,..

i dont recommend getting a shingleback to live with ur beardy. :p

I have seen Central Beardies sharing tanks with shinglebacks.
And Blue tongues at cleland wildlife park they have Central Beardies Blue tongues and Shingle backs all in the same enclosure. I know people who have done this sucessfully. But male blue tongues will eat the tails of other male blueys.

The only thing I'd put in with your Bluey would be Cantareus aspersus

You can only house them together if they have plenty of room to get away from each other.

I've seen (zoos. etc) Bluies housed with, Shinglebacks, Beardeds and Cunninghams. Although, always in a very large enclosure, normally outdoors and I haven't seen this tried with anything smaller than sub-adults. I wouldn't be game to put any of the 2 species together in a 4x2x2 or smaller but that's just me.

I don't think I explained it clear ill try again.

I have two 4x2x2ft enclosures in 1 bank.
Bottom for bluey.
Top for beardy.

What can go with a beardie in its enclosure?
And
What can go in with the bluey?

instead of starting a new thread i'll just drop this question on here lol, would it be possible to house a rough knob tailed gecko and a smooth knob tailed gecko in the same enlcosure? i have no previous experience with geckos but i'v been toying with the idea of investing for a while but i think id have trouble deciding between a rough or a smooth haha :D

and to respond to the original post, i dont think its a great idea, particularly with the blue tongue, male blue tongues can be very agressive towards other lizards and this could be problematic, however im not 100% sure on this subject. personally, i wouldnt house anything with other then blue tongues with my already exsisting pair and even then id be fairly cautious as its very hard to sex blue tongues and if i happend to get another male then fighting could occur.

Ok thanks Ash. Not sure about the gecko's i dont have them sorry.

Maybe another bluetongue or would a pink tongue be alright?

you could give it a shot but if they do end up fighting then you either have to buy another enclosure or part with your new animal (or your old one if you'd rather but i doubt that lol) and neither one of those options is great. as i say, im not 100% on the subject, iv only had 3 lizards in all my time of collecting reptiles as im more of a snake guy lol but you could give it a shot but personally id leave my blue tongues to it, they get along really well and are happy so i wouldnt disrupt that but its up to you at the end of the day. :)

I might get a pink tongue the same age (2 years old). Ive had my bluey since it was 1 week old has only hissed a few times and never bitten touch wood. I have my blueys old tank there in case they fight it worth a shot i guess they might be best of friends hopefully.

---------- Post added 18-Jan-11 at 01:44 PM ----------

Anyone else

I would only do it with a large outdoor pit style enclosure, where the animals can stay far away fro each other, in a 4x2x2 they would be forced to live within close proximity to each other and there would be a chance of fighting or tail nipping, or fighting over food. Also one could dominate the other stressing he ither out too much, it would be less hassle getting another tank.

i've heard of blueys with shinglebacks (which is not suprising since they have the same territory range, and shingleback is actually a species of bluetongue) and i've heard of bluetongues with a few egernia i've heard of beardies with egernia

i'd say you would be safe with (PROVIDED THEY HAVE ENOUGH SPACE) to house blueys and shinglebacks together

---------- Post added 18-Jan-11 at 02:26 PM ----------

The only thing I'd put in with your Bluey would be Cantareus aspersus

LOL, even then i think one of them would come of badly (and i think we all know which one)

I have a very large indoor enclosure with 2 beardies in it as well as a bluey and a yearling water dragon and have never had any trouble, fresh fruit is put in there daily as well as food for blue (prefers dog roll over anything else) and they all get along fine,

The enclosure has heaps of hides and stuff like that though

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back