Computer Monitors - how big can you get???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
The recent thread in regards to laptops got me thinking...

I have this awesome Alienware computer - but I'm stuck with being hounded onto a 17in screen...

I also have a PS3 and PlayTV (so I don't need a TV tuner). I utilise my amplifier for sound for the TV (it's over used, but I hooked up several fans to cool it in the tropics, and it works better than ever now).

What I was wondering - Why do I have to buy an LCD/LED/Plasma TV - why can't I buy a full HD monitor which has HDMI inputs for the Alien and PS3 (as that's all I use it for).

All my TV goes through the PS3.

All my movies go through the PS3.

My TV at the moment is in its 5th year of existence and is still going strong, but... This is the but... The kids TV is an old analogue TV and it's not picking up much of the TV they want (like ABC3, 11 etc etc).

This means I'm stuck waiting for them to go to bed before I can watch what I want or play PS3 if I ever get the chance!!!

So that thread got me thinking - can I get a large monitor for this purpose? Would it be cheaper and better (ie fast response times and no need for speakers, or tuner hence cheaper)?

Any input is welcomed - especially if you do something similar.

Thanks in advance...

buy the kids a cheapo set top box. they wont' care as long as they get to watch the cartoons.

can you use a tv as the monitor ?

soz for butting in on your thread but it seamed better than starting a new thread :D

buy the kids a cheapo set top box. they wont' care as long as they get to watch the cartoons.

Already have a set top box for the analogue - but because the TV is low res, it doesn't pick up some of the HD channels - though from memory it does pick up ABC3. The downside is the screen 'flashes' because of the digital nature of the signal (I assume).

Bring back analogue TV I reckon - we've taken a step back with digital!!! Plus... We could have analogue and better the internet or cable TV we have!

can you use a tv as the monitor ?

soz for butting in on your thread but it seamed better than starting a new thread :D

Yes, you can use a TV as a monitor... But the point was I already have a tuner, speakers and everything ready to go - so I don't need a TV... but I thought monitors must have quicker response times etc because they're 100% digital!

Hey slim6y,

The biggest monitor I've seen and heard of that is specifically a PC monitor was 27" LCD by Samsung.

Although a lot of people (including myself) use an LCD/LED TV instead of a PC monitor these days, great all rounder e.g. picture, sound and of course size.

So if you are willing to spend the cash, give the kids the TV you use now, get rid of their old one and get yourself a TV that will benefit you in every way.

Hey slim6y,

The biggest monitor I've seen and heard of that is specifically a PC monitor was 27" LCD by Samsung.

Although a lot of people (including myself) use an LCD/LED TV instead of a PC monitor these days, great all rounder e.g. picture, sound and of course size.

So if you are willing to spend the cash, give the kids the TV you use now, get rid of their old one and get yourself a TV that will benefit you in every way.

You're probably right you know :(

I really want to pay more for an awesome picture, but no speakers and no tuner... as I have those separately already (in their awesomeness).

Seems a shame that you have to pay for a tuner, speakers etc on a TV when they'll never get used!

the biggest pc monitor you can get is 30" but a good one is like 2kish if you want to use a TV as a monitor for games make sure its 200mhz the 100mhz will be ok but on some games you will notice ghosting, with a 200mhz the faster refresh will reduce that ghosting effect.

on my pc im running a 24" dell ultrasharp and an el chepo dell 23" in the living room i have a Samsung 46" LCD 6 Series.

if your looking at a new screen for your ps3 and to watch your shows and let the kids keep using the main screen, you could look at getting a 24" monitor if you can afford it i recommend the dell unltrasharp.You could look at the 32-42" TV range just make sure if you get a TV its 200mhz.

I use a HD set top box on a 17 yr old panasonic analogue tv. Never had any issues with flickering, if the tv is older than that it's a possibility I suppose.
Just get the kids a cheap LCD tv, you can pick them up pretty cheap for the smaller ones

I use a HD set top box on a 17 yr old panasonic analogue tv. Never had any issues with flickering, if the tv is older than that it's a possibility I suppose.
Just get the kids a cheap LCD tv, you can pick them up pretty cheap for the smaller ones

I notice the flickering even on DVD!!!

It's a Sony Wega from maybe 11 - 12 years ago... So I don't understand why it's so bad... But it is...

I think I should just upgrade to a 200Hz LCD/LED tv and give the kids this other one.... :)

Computer monitor? Would that be Varanus windowsius? :D Sorry couldn't help myself

Computer monitor? Would that be Varanus windowsius? :D Sorry couldn't help myself

haha... But I think you should try to help yourself....

(I think the share lameness of it made me snot just a little)

I have a 27" Samsung P2770HD as a computer monitor its freaking massive and awesome. I can now surf the net and watch my tv shows on my computer at the same time with heaps of room to spare. I also sometimes hook up my PS3 to play COD online. With the flick of the remote I can change the input and be on my computer or playing my PS3. It has a built in tuner that I don't use but may one day. All it cost was something like $450 a month ago. I remember a few years ago buying my first BenQ 19" flat screen monitor which wasn't even widescreen for about $790. I spent ages checking out reviews for this monitor/LED and wasn't sure what to buy but figured for just over $400 in a years time if I never liked the monitor I could give it to the kids or chuck it in another room and buy another - but I am very happy with it.

honestly with the cost of TV's i would just buy a 42 inch plasma or LCD with several HDMI inputs.

if your got an alienrware then you want a gaming moniitor a 27" would be fine heard its great for gaming ASUS VE276Q 27-inch

If your going to get a gaming monitor you really need to go for 1920 x 1200 res which is about as good as your going to get on a non-analogue monitor unless you have a huge amount of cash. 1080p is made for movies, not games but having said that, if you want a really big one it is going to cost you a lot more than a straight 1080p HD one.

You can get 42" monitors but they are professional and out of most peoples price range.

if you want a 42" monitor probably best buying a tv,, or alienware should be able to have dual montiors ? so even 2 20" would be ok

OR you could just wait until this Alienware curved monitor is available :p

alienware-arc-monitor.jpg

You can plug in a computer if you have a plasma tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back