Lace Monitor with MBD. (graphic)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor thing i wish people knew how to treat reptiles instead of buying them and not treating them well :(

Poor little girl. :( That was heartbreaking.
She looks so much better now though :)
I hope one day I can do a good deed like that and completely turn around the life of an animal in need!
You're amazing, I hope a lot of good karma comes your way ^_^

Excellent work RSP, I hope she continues to improve for you. They never cease to amaze, what a little trooper!

I hope one day I can do a good deed like that and completely turn around the life of an animal in need!

You can always join your local wildlife carers group:)!

Oh gosh i had missed this thread till just now brought tears to my eyes ..... to think someone could put anything through that is beyond me I'm so glad you have her in a loving home now .... all i can say is given what shes been through she was meant to come to you as a lot wouldn't have invested the time and effort into bringing her back to health let alone the cost ... for this little girl you are a saint! ..... i wish you and her all the best in this life time together !!

What a fantastic job you have done and are doing. She is absolutely adorable and what a transformation with some proper care. You should be very proud.

Poor thing! :( I think everyone who read this is in tears, you are an angel thank god she is with you now.

Wow can't believe i didn't see this thread till now.. Amazing work you've done there RSP, good to see some people still have a heart.

absolutey 100% whole hearted, kind amount of effort, i admire that, you have done an amazingly good thing, and drastically improved her quality of life. I think i speak for everybody when i say it would be nice to see some photos of her progress at this time?

whoops. didnt read the other pages :L she HAS come a very long way from what she was, do u know if there is any way of correcting her snout?

Last edited:
I missed this thread the first time around. Poor lizard. I honestly don't get how anyone could let another creature end up in this condition - it would have been clear something was wrong well before that.

Well done for taking her on and bringing her back to health. It sounds like you've now got a great little scaley friend for your troubles. Please keep us updated on her progress.

2 thumbs up for a stellar effort in the rehab of this little girl. Love stories like this. Really hope that the previous owner doesn't get a chance to do what he did to another animal.

:)

WOW she looks so much better now..Congratulations on all your efforts...She really has the sweetest eyes...Unfortunately there are far too many people out there who want to own an animal but cant be bothered to take proper care of it, or say its too expensive to care for them the right way..The amount of snakes I see for sale that eat chicken wings/necks or that live in wire mesh cages makes me cringe...Thanks for sharing your story

absolutey 100% whole hearted, kind amount of effort, i admire that, you have done an amazingly good thing, and drastically improved her quality of life. I think i speak for everybody when i say it would be nice to see some photos of her progress at this time?

whoops. didnt read the other pages :L she HAS come a very long way from what she was, do u know if there is any way of correcting her snout?

At this stage, her snout has hardened to much to try and correct it, unless she gets a bad case of MBD again and gets a braise made (not going to happen), or undergoes major surgery (to expensive and to stressful for her).

But she's going grate as she is, she's gotten used to where her snout sits now, so there's no need to try and fix it.

That is indeed a sad case and i think you have achieved an excellent outcome given the starting condition of the animal. Take a well deserved bow!

The lower jaw is often one of the areas where MBD shows up for two reasons. Firstly it is a particularly solid bone structure in the skeleton and so ends up relatively worse off than other bones when calcium is mobilised and withdrawn from the skeleton. Secondly, it is subject to very large mechanical stress during eating.

The Causes of MBD
A proper understanding of what MBD is and what causes it can avoid happenings like this.

Calcium is a major constituent of bone and gives it strength. Calcium is also also probably the most important mineral in the body, being involved in nearly all the main metabolic processes of living things. Because calcium is so crucial to so many essential metabolic processes to maintain life, it is absolutely essential to maintain the required level of calcium in the body fluids.

A certain amount of calcium is lost from the body through excretion on a continuous basis. This, unfortunately, is unavoidable, but is not a problem where normal calcium uptake from the diet occurs. When insufficient calcium is absorbed from the diet, the body will release calcium stored in bone to ensure the levels in the body fluids are sufficient to allow normal metabolic processes to occur. On an on-going basis, with no replacement of calcium from the diet, this will result in metabolic bone disease.

The absorption of calcium from food requires Vitamin D3. The active form of this vitamin allows the body to absorb any calcium available from the gut (digested food) and for the body to incorporate it into building bones. UVB light can cause many vertebrates, reptiles included, to produce inactive D3 in the skin. This is then stored in their liver until required. So animals that normally consume whole vertebrates, like monitors do, are geared to obtaining their necessary Vitamin D3 from the livers of these animals. A diet devoid of livers in such animals, cannot take up calcium, no matter how much is present in the food.

Hope that helps with the understanding.

Blue

Well you shouldn't jk. Yes it is sad that you can see what that animal has been through, but its even clearer now, that she is doing well. If it isn't effecting her ability to survive, or her quality of life, then to see her like she is now thrilling. The work RSP has done has paid off big time for this girl. She might not be out of the woods yet, but she certainly doesn't appear to be going backwards.

That is indeed a sad case and i think you have achieved an excellent outcome given the starting condition of the animal. Take a well deserved bow!

The lower jaw is often one of the areas where MBD shows up for two reasons. Firstly it is a particularly solid bone structure in the skeleton and so ends up relatively worse off than other bones when calcium is mobilised and withdrawn from the skeleton. Secondly, it is subject to very large mechanical stress during eating.

The Causes of MBD
A proper understanding of what MBD is and what causes it can avoid happenings like this.

Calcium is a major constituent of bone and gives it strength. Calcium is also also probably the most important mineral in the body, being involved in nearly all the main metabolic processes of living things. Because calcium is so crucial to so many essential metabolic processes to maintain life, it is absolutely essential to maintain the required level of calcium in the body fluids.

A certain amount of calcium is lost from the body through excretion on a continuous basis. This, unfortunately, is unavoidable, but is not a problem where normal calcium uptake from the diet occurs. When insufficient calcium is absorbed from the diet, the body will release calcium stored in bone to ensure the levels in the body fluids are sufficient to allow normal metabolic processes to occur. On an on-going basis, with no replacement of calcium from the diet, this will result in metabolic bone disease.

The absorption of calcium from food requires Vitamin D3. The active form of this vitamin allows the body to absorb any calcium available from the gut (digested food) and for the body to incorporate it into building bones. UVB light can cause many vertebrates, reptiles included, to produce inactive D3 in the skin. This is then stored in their liver until required. So animals that normally consume whole vertebrates, like monitors do, are geared to obtaining their necessary Vitamin D3 from the livers of these animals. A diet devoid of livers in such animals, cannot take up calcium, no matter how much is present in the food.

Hope that helps with the understanding.

Blue

Thanks for posting this, it gives me a much better understanding of how it all works now.

I'm so happy right now :) Lacy just ate on her own for the first time!!! Completely unassisted.

Well, it was only a couple of pinkie mice, but she keeps dropping everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back