Computer Question - Wireless Router

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hsut77

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A quick question for you Computer savy people.

I have just bought a new computer :p (as the wife hogs the other for our business) and we need to share our ADSL connection. I am a bit confused about wireless routers and would love someone to help. :cry:

Do the computers need network cards to be able to share the internet?

What is recommended for the easiest set up - One computer is right next to the Modem and the other is in the next room about 6mt away.

Any help greatly appreciated.

in the back of the modem/router..... does it have another port not in use atm? (it may be labelled ethernet)
just get a 6m ethernet cable p[lug it into the spare spot on your modem and into the back of your new computer.
if its new there should be a network port on the back so fingers crossed.
if there is only the one port on the back of modem and it is currently being occupied then you will probably have to dig into pockets and buy a new one with more than one. or a wireless one

hi ,, my wireless adsl has a USB wireless reciver, you will still need a modem on the phone, so one computer with the ethernet cable from the modem and one with the USB reciver should work fine ,, best to give bigpond a call to make sure though ...good luck...i dont think network cards are needed?

if you go wireless at least one computer has to have a wireless network card.
the other is wired through cable

Thanks Motman, yeah there are two ports by my other half hates cords and it will run out of her office across the hall into the dining room so cords are no go.

Diamonddan, unfortunately our ISP is of little help, we get transferred to the Pacific Call centre and it is hard even to tell them what you are calling about...........way of the world I suppose saving those $$$$. I have seen the USB receiver routers but the box said at least one computer needs a network card.

Yep. Basically if you have a modem designed for just one computer (the majority if it was sent from your ISP - but telling us the model would help heaps), then you will need a wireless router as well. The Netgear WGR614 is great, I've set up dozens and although no brand is perfect, they are a great all rounder for price and reliability. If you sit down and take the time to read the instructions on how to set it up using the wizard, they are pretty easy. Roughly $70-$90 + you will also need a wireless network card (you can get simple USB wireless that just plug in the USB) on the PC 6m away.

Maybe I read the info wrong, it's funny.... when I hit thirty the Computer stated to look scary, I couldn't play the PS2 properly anymore and I can't even program the DVD recorder anymore. Before I turned thirty I could play a game of Black on PS2, program the DVD recoreder, rewire the soround sound and do anything on my PC all at the same time.

yeh your wifes computer already has a network card. otherwise you wouldnt be able to plug in your router

Falconboy, I will check the modam at lunch time to see the brand, I will need to go wireless no matter as the Wife will not approve cords running around the house. Thanks for the info.

yeh your wifes computer already has a network card. otherwise you wouldnt be able to plug in your router

Sorry to clarify, The ADSL modem is pluged in via an ethernet cord into our old computer so this means it has a network card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back