Conflicting Nephrurs Occidentail advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petesmith81

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Asides from the Varanus Gilleni and the Ctenophorus Nuchalis I keep I also keep two species of Nephrurs.

The Nephrurs are given calcium and mutli-vitams twice a week a feed primarily on gut loaded crickets, They are in 10ltr starmaid tubs with heat cord in 1/3 on thermostat Hot end 28-30, cool end 23-25c with a hide in either end.

With the back ground out of the way, one of the Nephrurs Occidentail has either dislocated or broken his/her front left hand leg, which only appeared after the last shed. Subsequently my partner arranged consult with a local reputable reptile vet in the south east of Melbourne (as I was at work), X-rays have been arranged.

However! During the consultation the vet advised that Nephrurs Occidentail should be placed outside in the sunlight for two hours a day, my understanding and the advice I have been given by others differs to this.

I know there are some very experienced breeders that read these forums and I would like to know their thoughts on the advice the vet has given

i was told to use UV with my amyae, so they get a few hours in the sun on weekends since they didnt like the light in their cage. (no point if they hide under things, eh,..?)

i give them late afternoon sun on sat and/or sundays so they have no chance of overheating.

oh, in a mesh sunning cage, no way am i letting the little buggers free on the lawn!!

I would recommend UV for any animals with a broken bone, as it will help with calcium absorbtion to mend the break.

Although it won't hurt them , I think that it's not a viable option if the animal has a break

You do everything correctly with the info you have provided , if there only young and being housed together sometimes tank mates can grab onto the others limbs mistaking them for food and subsequently causing damage

My advise would be separate the animal in question and give it some quiet time , maybe reduce the size of it tub so it doesnt need to move so much to catch it's food Giving the break time to heal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back