confused! what is legal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood_nymph

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
perviously i have been told that leopard geckos are illgeal in aust, but there's so much information from australian sites on how great they are so beginners. since then i've found a breeder who insists they are legal in australia and he's been breeding them for many years. however i can't find them on the national parks and wildlife list.
are they legal in australia? and NSW?

They are illegal for private keepers, end of story.

i see, i wonder what this guy is on about then, he got a bit offended when i asked if they were legal and went on about all his exp

It isnt really a major offence from a legal point of view, its just the threat they pose to our ecosystem. Most likely he has had them for ages and they wouldnt be carrying disease and they are unlikely to escape if he is experienced but if he is selling them of to anyone there is a good chance a new keeper may let them escape.

the threat to the ecosystem is my major issue when it comes to things like this not so much the legal side. i mean these species are illegal for a reason. its a bit worrying that he seems to be doing such a easy and open trade in them to private keepers.

Have you tried to contact the national parks and asked that question .
I would like to know what they have to say

they are exotics, originating from iran, pakistan, india region.....

thats not in australia, therefore illegal

i've been trying to contact them on the phone since yesterday and haven't got anywhere, i sent an email but that could take god knows how long to be replied to.

i've been trying to contact them on the phone since yesterday and haven't got anywhere, i sent an email but that could take god knows how long to be replied to.

Try calling on a weekday...between 9-5.

It isnt really a major offence from a legal point of view, its just the threat they pose to our ecosystem.

It's either against the law or its not. There is nothing wishy washy about it.

Most likely he has had them for ages and they wouldnt be carrying disease and they are unlikely to escape if he is experienced

This is no justification whatsoever.

This is an intriguing point of view you have considering you started a thread on ethics.

IsK

How sure are you that these are the exotic geckos, its possible they are just being called "leopard geckos" but might be natives like Velvets geckos (some having a somewhat leopard like pattern ;)), would be the first time...

Also what "australian sites" out of intrested have you seen promote exotic geckos as pets?

i'm not saying they promote them but for example if you type in "leopard gecko" in google australia you come up with all these yahoo discussions about peoples pet geckos within australia. i have also seen some general geckos sites that talk about how great they are in terms of handling ect. now wether or not these are just hosted by ".au" providers and not actually written by australians i'm not sure.

i got on to parks and wildlife this morning and leopard geckos Eublepharis macularius are definately illegal for private keepers in all areas of australia. the email address of this "seller" has been reported.

sheep too unfortunately. they do great guns here and taste good to boot, but look at what their hard feets have done to our top soil and how clearing for grazing land has affected our ground water and water table in general.

he was careful enough not to give a name so i've passed on his email and some of the details he gave me in his emails such as his next shipment date to sydney metro and that according to him he's collecting snakes in the amazon at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back