Converting an old Shed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty_Moose

Reaction score
Hey everyone (sorry if this is in the wrong section didn't know where else to put it)

I have an old shed that gets half sunlight and half in the shade, I'm in Sydney area so you know how quickly the weather changes reaches 35+ some days and gets down to 15 some days in the morning. This shed is made out of full metal but I'm planning on cutting half of it out keeping most of the frame and putting chicken wire or mesh over the the remaining sides if that works but if you have any other suggestions that would work I'd be happy to do so (But I still dunno). It is 1.85m W x 1.85m H x 1.15 T. Any suggestions that will aid in my build and suggestions regarding what species would be happy in that size. It is also raised about 10cm off the ground with a concrete base, with a slope next to it so the water will not pool around it.

The only species that has come into my backyard is blue tongues and garden skinks (sp. ?) But I have also seen Eastern Water Dragons around our gerenral vacinity. (haven't explored much so this is obviously just in my everyday walk abouts). P.s no snakes can be included in the list of possible species.

I was thinking of putting in Easter Water Dragons in it with a lot of branches, and a mulch bottom.

I have photos but they don't seem to be uploading properly so I will get them as soon as possible.

This is my first attempt at a DIY so any ideas on where to start. The shed has been pressure hosed and cleaned out so its a clean slate.

Zac.

I was going to include that in the form of a big pond (the black shell), so an above ground one with branches leading too and from it.

I think it would be awesome dude! Jut provide lots of hides and a few big stones to soak up the heat for the lizards and you should be right!.

I've always wanted to do this and have been planning for ages, so once I got the all clear from my dad (he liked to look of the Water Dragons at the expo) I've started my plan but don't expect it done any time soon (I would hope it would be sooner but we will see need a LOT of planning to do behind this.)

Last edited:
I've always wanted to do this and have been planning for ages, so once I got the all clear from my dad (he liked to look of the Water Dragons at the expo) I've started my plan but don't expect it done any time soon (I would hope it would be sooner but we will see need a LOT of planning to do behind this.)
Well you need to keep them inside for the first couple of years anyway.

If you can ventilate it properly, Boyd's would go great.
Same with Frill Necks.
show us a picture dude?

Hmm, Well I'm still in the info gathering stage so. I will still need to check out temps in the converted aviary to see what it gets up to in hot zones etc, but I will be looking at adults perhaps.

Well if it's too cold, it won't be hard to set up a warm spot.
I'm sure Boyds would do fine seeing as they don't need to bask at all and keeping it cool would be your main concern which is piss easy.
:)
I think your doing this the wrong way round.
Find the animal you want to keep the most. Then find what parameters you need to follow and what technology you can use to achieve them :)

Well, I have too many. I'd rather have an idea of WHAT I can keep and go from there. I have plenty of species i'd like to keep its just a matter of what I can and can't.

get a little ecosystem thing sorta like get a BIG pond mulch,dirt and plant some plants rocks branches rotten trees and then get a few species like the water dragon and water skinks and stuff like that.

Sounds like a good idea in theory. But how hard would this 'ecosystem' be to keep maintained? And wouldn't the Water Dragons attack/eat the smaller skinks ? especially as 1.85 by 1.15 isn't that much floor space to hide?

P.s will be getting the pics asap.

for that floor space i would get a smaller species of reptile buddy. I would suggest a few blueys or a few boyds. The dragons will eat other smaller skinks so be careful.

the water skinks breed crazy and just put lots of hides it would take a little bit to make it right. and maybe when youve set it up chuck a few woodies so they might breed in there??

Thats what I was thinking mate. Blue tongues are high on my list as they come into my backyard so I know that they can tolerate the fluctuation that occurs. I was thinking boyds, They are on class 2 so it will give me a long time to get the aviary done and temps tested before I'm 18 so thats on the positive side.

angle heads are the same as boyds but not as colourful and cheaper them then and are class 1

boyds like to climb so you will need branches and more heights. Apart from this they are amazing looking critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back