Converting an old Shed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin has done something similar, though I think hers is bigger than that. She has a pond in her's which is home to a turtle and some frogs and water dragons. She has bromeliads, ferns and orchids growing throughout as well as logs and branches etc.
While I am not sure I would be putting frogs in with a water dragon, so far she hasn't had a problem, possibly because there are so many hides and so much space.

What about water dragons with eastern blue tongues and turtles? (assuming that you put them together as full grown adults?)

My way of thinking at the moment is, With an outdoor enclosure this size I don't want to risk putting multiple species in it. I don't think the pond in it would be big enough to happily house a turtle and leave enough floor space for a bluey and Dragon (although they do climb). This being said i'm sure that it has been achieved but I don't want to risk a multiple species enclosure especially with the variables at hand.

I was thinking of an arboreal species as nearly 2 m of height I would hope that would be enough (as I have seen them inside in smaller).

p.s here are the pictures, I apologise for the bad pics as it is off a webcam and for the dirty roof, its just some really stuck on lichen that doesn't want to come off so I'm soaking it for awhile then trying it again. (my normal camera has been taken on holidays which had the original pics). This shows that inside there is a concrete floor, raised up off the ground by concrete and its already getting about 1/5 of the roof of sunlight (gets more as the day progresses but also keeps about 1/3 -1/2 shaded)

Zac.

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-04-12 at 09.57.jpg
    Photo on 2011-04-12 at 09.57.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Photo on 2011-04-12 at 09.58.jpg
    Photo on 2011-04-12 at 09.58.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo on 2011-04-12 at 10.19 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2011-04-12 at 10.19 #2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo on 2011-04-12 at 10.12.jpg
    Photo on 2011-04-12 at 10.12.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Cut out large holes in the two sides for ventilation and the roof should just be mesh.
Hit that lichen with bleach. :)

Haha, cheers mate. The roof has some wear and tear so it was going to go anyway. The frame work is still good! The next problem is sourcing some doors and some chicken wire/mesh.

just did one myself. got a bunch of boyds in it and it covered in heaps of branches etc. sometime i freak that they escaped somehow there so good at hiding in it. If you have climbing lizards in it i found that using this green mesh stuff... (cant remember name right now) is really good. especially to cover the tin on the inside as they can scratch there nails off trying to climb it. Good luck bud

I like the idea of Boyds, but reading the care sheets I don't think my area would be anywhere near ideal so no go Jannico (haha what a poet). I think it would fluctuate too much.

Thanks Red, I am really excited about this. This will be my first attempt at a DIY project outside of a little click clack.

Just a quick snap of mine being done up! Finished thing is better

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302581963.508576.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302581963.508576.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 56
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302581985.810069.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302581985.810069.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 59
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302582003.793276.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302582003.793276.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 52
Looks good mate! I hope to achieve something similar (cutting out some portions of the metal and putting mesh/wire on it). I'll take what I've seen and try to implement it somehow ! anyone else got some suggestions as to how and what species I should keep ? and what to do for them ?

Forget tropical lizards if you live in Sydney. Great for indoors but not outside. Use species endemic to the region, various bluetongues, cunninghams, water skinks, water dragons, eastern beardies.

Thanks for that Peter and mel! I do like the look of Boyds and will keep them eventually but not in an outdoor enclosure because the temps are not in my favour, I like the idea of cunninghams (didn't even think of as I've never seen them around my area), water dragons and blue tongues i've seen in my area so I would be able to keep them (I would assume). I found a cheap source of chicken wire but not mesh,yet , so my project will start soon hopefully.

Zac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back