Cooling pythons over winter for breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptililian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
God help me, I imagine this is going to be such a boring, technical and confusing thread, but Dad told me I have to find out how to cool the kids. He'll only go and find out for himself and then disagree with everything I say anyway, so I don't see why I have to worry my pretty little head about such complicated matters *sigh* :wink:

Oh well, here goes. How do I cool my pythons down? ( :roll: ) I have most species, is it the same for all of them? I know I'm being a bit premature asking in the middle of awful, nasty, yuk yuk summer, but as Dad drummed into me through my 10 year uni career... don't leave things 'til the last minute.

In order to make this thread a little more interesting, if you could put your answer in sonnet or haiku form it would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks in anticipation, Lily

I think you mean...

when autumn winds blow,
lowering the source of heat
will cool snakes nicely.

Thanks Afro! Knew I could depend on you to make me laugh! :lol:

best is to type word cooling to our serch option. That will beat africa's advice.
people don't use our serch option to much. we store all posts for past 4 years, and I am finding this so usefull.

Hot days- cold nights for most speices.

It also depends on what species you have. Diamonds should be cooled for 3 months with no heat whatsoever, not only for the breeding, but for their wellbeing as well.
As for most other pythons, I keep the lights on for a couple of hours around midday and no heat at night for two months (June-July), then gradually increase the daylight during the third month. By then the mating should have been going on for a long time (except Diamonds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back