Correct Temperature for Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiteAndSqueeze

Reaction score
This stuff has probably been done to death before but I only joined the site yesterday. I read with interest the discussion initiated by The Rock about diamonds but this seems to be specifically directed to diamonds.

I have converted a large fish tank to take my snakes which I just got 2 weeks ago. 1 Jungle about 6 months old and 1 centralian about 1 yr old. They seem to get along fine together and often curl up together.

I was advised that the glass would lose too much heat and keeping the temp up would be a problem. I have therefore put 2 under tank heaters in the middle figuring that the hot air will rise and heat the tank. I found that it took 24 hours for the heaters to get up to temp. At the moment I have no thermostats. I leave the under tank heaters on 24/7 and I also have overhead lighting. I use stronger light during the day and blue lights at night.

The tank is a jungle set up with artifical plants, a pond, a waterfall and tree branches.

I've got a dual sensor thermometer. The temp in the tank ranges from around 22 - 28 however the gravel above the heat mats gets pretty hot. The snakes don't seem to like the hot gravel and stay away from it. The snakes seem to either curl up in the fork of the tree branch which is halfway up the tank and above the heat mats (so above the rising hot air) or on top of a rock which is above the heat mats (which doesn't get as hot as the gravel) or on the gravel under a log to the side of the heat mats where it is probably still warm, but not hot.

There are certainly cooler areas in the tank they can go to if they want (and also a pond they can completely immerse in) but they seem to choose not to.

As a presentation, the tank works well because instead of hiding all the time, the snakes are often well presented in the forks of branches etc.

My question is- Given that they can stay warm all the time if they want, am I doing the right thing? Will they become accustomed to always being warm and will this harm them? Should I turn the heat down at night and force them to be cooler?

Where do I start??
I am BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT (I'm an 'yearling expert' ;) eh duga!! :lol: ) but this following is the teeny tiny bit of info I have learned: (I have just recently bought my second python by the way)
I wouldn't be keeping the 2 snakes together unless they were adults and you were wanting to breed them. Even then it would only be for a little while at a time. Some ppl DO keep they're adult pairs together, but I am inexperienced and knowing my luck, they would eat each other.
As you have found by reading the Diamond thread, there are differing opinions re: thermostats, but I personally swear by them.
For heating in one of my tanks (a small pet carrier type thing for a 6mth childreni) I am running a heat mat (on a thermostat) that only sits under ONE HALF of the tank. On top of that, my particular style of container doesn't sit flush on the mat, and since it is raised by about 1cm, the plastic gets to about 32degrees or so degrees (MAX) with some breeders choice (recycled paper pellets type kitty litter stuff) and then his cool end is just room temp. He chooses where he wants to be.
My other tank (3x2x2 for a 15mth Diamond) has a basking spot that gets up to 37 when the heat lamp is on, hide stays around 23-26, she has her FAV spot that hangs about at 27-29 and then her cool end again is roughly room temp. (I am still working on getting these temps right)
From what I can tell, the more options you give them the better.
As for your setup though - I am not sure... Please - someone with more experience??
But that 'pebble' thing sounds no good TO ME. Especially with the 'no thermostat' thing. Do you even know how HOT the pebbles are getting??
Either way, welcome to the site, make good use of the 'search' function, do lots of google searches and I would be separating the snakes and ditching the pebbles.
Good luck ;)
Bex - yearling expert :lol:

My question is- Given that they can stay warm all the time if they want, am I doing the right thing? Will they become accustomed to always being warm and will this harm them? Should I turn the heat down at night and force them to be cooler?

No, what you are doing is fine in regards to that.
They can cool down if they want.

Thnx
They seem pretty comfortable together. I haven't noticed any antagonism between them. I take them out of the tank and feed the separately.
The gravel is river gravel that I had in the fish tank. I sterilised it first (nearly killed myself with chlorine) and because it is roughly the same size a kitty litter I can use a kitty litter scoop to scoop up poo.
They move around and self regulate their own heat and there is plenty of variance to allow this. I just wondered whether they should be allowed to be constantly warm or whether they should be made to have cooler temp at night?

Re: RE: Correct Temperature for Pythons

beknluke said:
Where do I start??
I am BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT (I'm an 'yearling expert' ;) eh duga!! :lol: )

Well at least thats something you don't have to be told or read in a book :roll:

When your snakes are feeling too warm they'll seek out a cooler area of the cage. It doesnt hurt to drop the night temps a bit but its not completely necessary. I would definately get a thermostat to avoid an accidental heat rise. I would also change the substrate to Breeders choice cat litter.

Re: RE: Correct Temperature for Pythons

dugadugabowbow said:
beknluke said:
Where do I start??
I am BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT (I'm an 'yearling expert' ;) eh duga!! :lol: )

Well at least thats something you don't have to be told or read in a book :roll:

Oh no - you're wrong Steve!! YOU told me :p
Should I have my wrist slapped for passing on second or thrid hand information hmmmm???
:lol:

Good luck BiteAndSqueeze :D

RE: Re: RE: Correct Temperature for Pythons

i was wondering do they have a hide or two?

RE: Re: RE: Correct Temperature for Pythons

There is no real hide as such but I have a long piece of gnarled wood which sits a couple of inches above the gravel. The jungle likes to curl up under it and as it runs a fair length of the tank it can pick a different temp to suit. The centralian normally curls up in the branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back