Young Stimson python heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverell

Reaction score
Hi all! New snake parent here with a 4-month (ish) Stimson. I was recommended the reptile one hatchie kit (enclosure is glass with mesh top) and I've been using the 5w heat mat that came with it, but the temperature in the hot side of her enclosure will only get up to the 32 mark if I run the space heater and the room is super warm. Overnight the temperature on the hot side falls to 27 degrees. Just wondering what I can do to keep this temperature up even if ambient room temperature is cooler e.g. if I should get a 7 watt heat mat and use a thermostat? Thank you!

I got the same set up sold to me by a pet shop. I had no end of issues with it unfortunately. The guys here recommended I get a tub set up and it was honestly a life saver.

Thanks for your reply. So from what I've read she would need a 7L Sistema tub and then use the same heat mat with it?
She did eat last night so I'm feeling a bit better about her temp as I'm sure she wouldn't have eaten if she was too cold right?

That's correct, if troubles with heat get higher wattage heat mat like 7 or 8w I think I used at one point. Paper towel on bottom, water bowl , hide at hot end. You will not look back. Be patient and keep him in there til at least one. Look at me giving advice šŸ˜³

I'm only parroting the likes of some of the experienced breeders on this site though. Very helpful.

When it comes to the heating needs of a young Stimson python, this video provides valuable insights. It's great to see the care and attention given to ensuring the snake's comfort and well-being. Informative and helpful content for reptile enthusiasts!..

Last edited:
Hi all! New snake parent here with a 4-month (ish) Stimson. I was recommended the reptile one hatchie kit (enclosure is glass with mesh top) and I've been using the 5w heat mat that came with it, but the temperature in the hot side of her enclosure will only get up to the 32 mark if I run the space heater and the room is super warm. Overnight the temperature on the hot side falls to 27 degrees. Just wondering what I can do to keep this temperature up even if ambient room temperature is cooler e.g. if I should get a 7 watt heat mat and use a thermostat? Thank you!
I don't know what everyone else thinks but i think 32 for a youngin' is not too far off the mark. Would be warmer inside the hide. A couple of degrees down on the cool side, maybe? I find with the little glass vivs, keeping it down on the cool side seems to be harder. Good luck. Stimmys are the cutest.

I don't know what everyone else thinks but i think 32 for a youngin' is not too far off the mark. Would be warmer inside the hide. A couple of degrees down on the cool side, maybe? I find with the little glass vivs, keeping it down on the cool side seems to be harder. Good luck. Stimmys are the cutest.
It mostly sits around 29-31 during the day at the moment which I think is okay? And yes it has been tricky keeping a temp gradient as most times I check, there's only a 2-3 degree difference on the cool side. I just worry that she gets too cold overnight (it drops to roughly 26.5 degrees), I've read that lower night temps are generally fine for adult snakes but she's only tiny. She seems fairly happy though, she hides during the day and is active in the evening and night, and seems healthy when I get her out to check on her. Only other thing is she hasn't pooped since eating last week, is this okay? I know it's probably fine but I get stressed about everything haha!

It mostly sits around 29-31 during the day at the moment which I think is okay? And yes it has been tricky keeping a temp gradient as most times I check, there's only a 2-3 degree difference on the cool side. I just worry that she gets too cold overnight (it drops to roughly 26.5 degrees), I've read that lower night temps are generally fine for adult snakes but she's only tiny. She seems fairly happy though, she hides during the day and is active in the evening and night, and seems healthy when I get her out to check on her. Only other thing is she hasn't pooped since eating last week, is this okay? I know it's probably fine but I get stressed about everything haha!
this is all normal and fine, ideally you'd bump the temps up a little bit more....
26.5 over night is fine...

no poop is fine... means its growing...

Back