"Coughing" beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nevtalath

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I fed my small beardie last night (woodies) and after he finished he kept opening his mouth and making like a hocking sound. I've recently introduced a new member to the family so I'm not sure if it's just a teritorial thing or if he's sick.
Any comments would be appreciated.

maybe take it to the vet its probably the only way you will know for sure and maybe seperate them just incase it is and its contagous. or maybe it got some food stuck.

I've had this happen when they rush to eat as many as possible and don't chew their food properly. the beardies tries to bring it back up so he can chew it properly. It's cute when they get it up and it's half mangled body tries to scurry away before being eaten again :)

Doesnt really sound like a respiratory infection. But i agree wih gregcranston if you think it could be get it to the Vet asap! With a respiratory infection if you hold its mouth close to your ear they open their mouth and make a kind of clicking sound when they breath. When it gets a little worse they go off their food and get very lethargic.

He's definately not lethargic, and is still eating, I've only really noticed it after he's eaten. And i couldn't hear a clicking sound, but i havn't seen him get anything up either....
Thanks guys think this may be a vet trip
:)

I've had this happen when they rush to eat as many as possible and don't chew their food properly. the beardies tries to bring it back up so he can chew it properly. It's cute when they get it up and it's half mangled body tries to scurry away before being eaten again :)

I'm betting this is what it is.

dont waste time take him to vet ASAP he might not be here next week if its serious resp infection

Got into the vet today! has resp infection. Have to give him injections once every 3 days for 3 weeks approx. Vet said since the other's don't have it it's probably because he's smaller so is less resistant to when we were getting the temps right in the tank. It's our first winter with the new tank and being in melb the temps drop fairly drastically and the ceramic and heat mat aren't coping. Had been leaving house heater on 18 to keep ambient temp from dropping and stopping them from dropping further. Getting another ceramic tonight and more insulation for the roof and walls. (it's a old linen cupboard converted)
Will keep you posted on how he does. Vet said he should make full recovery.

You shouldnt have to do it for 3 weeks. But it will depend on how bad he is. It has been ages since he has had it. Iam supprised he has lasted this long. One or two injections should do the trick usually. Do you know what type of medication he is using?
Keeping him warm is a key too. The heat will help him naturally resist the infection aswell.

where is the heat mat located it should be doing the trick if they are sleeping near it or you could try a heat cord as they tend to heat the things surrounding it a bit better.

Just keep an eye on the others as it can spread quickly. Hope he comes good.

If it is one injection every three days then it will be fortum give the full course of antibiotics, jsut giving one or two doses until it looks better is how bacterial resistence develops. the symptoms may have left but the bacteria may still be present. It will only spread if it is a viral RI which in many cases it isnt.

You shouldnt have to do it for 3 weeks. But it will depend on how bad he is. It has been ages since he has had it. One or two injections should do the trick usually. Do you know what type of medication he is using?
Keeping him warm is a key too. The heat will help him naturally resist the infection aswell.

where is the heat mat located it should be doing the trick if they are sleeping near it or you could try a heat cord as they tend to heat the things surrounding it a bit better.

Just keep an eye on the others as it can spread quickly. Hope he comes good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back