could orlando have a cold?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astrobeka

Reaction score
hi everyone.
orlando has just recently shed, and twice since then i have had her out, and heard a strange noise... sorta like a sniffle.
i don't know what other symptoms to look for.
also, i was just looking at the shed skin from yesterday, and noticed little bits at the nostrils, look sorta like little snotty spiky things.... lol
any ideas? could this be a sign of a cold? storm has never had these on her shed skin.
thank you for your help...

beka

also, noticed that orlando's shed has her beautiful pattern on it, unlike storm's sheds. is that normal?

she's a coastal carpet python... sorry, i forgot to put that in!!!

i guess comparing her to storm is wrong too, as storm is a mac!

nope, she looks fine and clear.
it was just the noises, and funny bits on shed that made me wonder....
also with having the humidity up to help shedding i thought i could have caused her to get sick.
probably just being over-protective mother... lol

Lookslike it beca.
Let us know if she continue make the noise.

The little bits in the nostril area, is actually just shed skin. The skin goes down that far...

yeah, that's what i thought at first, but then i noticed it's not on any of the other shed skins.
made me wonder....

i think sxereturn is right about the shed skin up the nose and i think i can exsplain the snorting when handling. once i was handling a costal at a garden show and it started making a sort of a snifflling snorty sound. i thought it might have a cold so i asked its owner. this guy had been keeping snaks all his life and he said it wasnt unusual for costals to make that noise. costals usually dont bite but when they get handled when they dont want to they make that noise. did you remove orlando from inside a hide area? that might make them alittle upset. it might be their way of saying "put me down, i dont want to bite you".

she was out on her rest at the top of the tank both times.
she might just be tichy!
thank you all for your help and advice.

Monty makes a snorting/snuffling noise occasionally too, i think Tommo is right, just means they are a bit upset, a protest.

I dont want to be alarmist but if yiou suspect that your snake has breathing problems(ie a cold )
Please take it to the vet to have it checked.
Whats starts as a cold can become pnuemonia and your snake could die.
If its not a cold at least you have taken steps to ensure that it isnt.

Adullthud I thik thet she mean just ocasional noise, not breathing problem.
But if the snake making sound by breathing, That have to be checked.

thanks for your help everyone.
now, i would jus like a vet who knows what a snake is to be within 200km....
lol

Anyone know of a herp vet online???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back