Crab Update!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Tonight was the first night since I got my crabs (yes, yes ha ha I have crabs:rolleyes:) that I managed to catch a couple of them out and about on the land without them running into the water when they saw me. Thought I'd snap a pic or two. Tried to get a defensive stance, but they kept flashing the defence stance and scuttling off.

Forgive me if they're sort've the same looking! Enjoy!

Out014.jpg

Out013.jpg

Out012.jpg

Out011.jpg

Out010.jpg

Out009.jpg

Out008.jpg

Out007.jpg

Out006.jpg

Out005.jpg

Looked into my tarantula's cage and saw there were two left over big adult female crickets. Took one out and gave it to the scorp, and for a laugh thought I'd offer the second to a crab. So i grabbed it with some forceps by the ovipositor and dunked it. Got snapped up straight away! Crab attacked it like a maniac and ate the whole thing. I couldn't get a photo (damn reflections) until the crab was nearly done, which is why he only is really holding a head.

Fed a second cricket, but the crab that got him ran off under a rock and I didn't see it feeding.

Out003.jpg

Out004.jpg

There are about 12.. but you never see them all at once. Their tank is huge, I really want another 5 or so to fill the tank up a little.. but I have no money, and I'm not about to be given freebies!

Problem with crickets, bylo, is they won't eat them on land and won't eat them if they're free running. I offered these guys on the end of forceps... I don't think they'd catch them.

They're too little to eat I reckon!

Just went and fed a whole bunch more crickets... They absolutely love them. Launch themselves at the forceps and just yank the crickets towards themselves...

One cricket dropped a leg so I gave it to the little crab, and a big crab came and bullied it off him. Fascinating to watch. They eat at break neck speed. Soon as they get the cricket they pull off all the 'attachements' (feelers, legs, butt feelers) and eat them, then they start on the body...

Really wicked to watch!

EDIT: wouldn't you know my camera ran out of batteries right when they were all out in the open munching on crickets.. :evil:

Well you learn something new every day.....
Thats REALLY cool, awsome to see something different to the usual stuff.

Lol they are awesome!

I like the photo of the crab looking at itself in the mirror :p

Problem with crickets, bylo, is they won't eat them on land and won't eat them if they're free running. I offered these guys on the end of forceps... I don't think they'd catch them.

Try taking off a couple of crickets legs and yes I am serious here.

The cricket legs are nice and meaty and they enjoy them! Hahaha

As for the sort... We've been trying to find out for a while, and the closest we've come is Austrothelphusa sp... Formerly known as Holthuisana apparently.

This is the most comprehensive site I found: http://www.amonline.net.au/sand/news/freshwater_crabs.htm Though it should be noted these crabs were found in Qld, not NSW.

Leigh - I don't have a video camera mate, sorry.

EDIT: http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=2548 - these guys are obviously having trouble ID'ing their crabs too. Might join this forum just for this thread!

Inks I meant that if I just threw the crickets in to the water, the crabs wouldn't get them because crickets float and would swim away. I held them under the water with forceps and the crabs took them off me. With this method, they were fine as they just tore the legs off and ate them, before eating the rest.

Are we on the same page? I'm a little confused..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back