Cricket egg laying hide?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus_the_beardie

Reaction score
Hello, i know that there is other threads with breeding info but i was just wandereing if i have 1 container, what would be the best for the cricket eggs to be layed and protected
it is a 7-10litre container, oatmeal as the bottom, sponge water, toilet roll

please dont talk about look at the other threads, i only asked to get some specific advice
Cheers Myles

i have had great sucess with breeding crix, i just have a chinese container of peatmoss in the breeding tub and they lay eggs in there, after 2days to a week i take it out and let it incubate, at room temp in winter it takes bout 2 weeks 2 hatch but will b lees come summer

whats wrong w/ my cricket eggs? been almost a month and no sign of any pinheads.. ah well woodies arrive soon, sure i'll have more success with them. yeah a rectangle chinese container is what i use with lightly dampened peat moss.

no, the females use their ovipositor at the rear of their body to deposit their eggs into a medium usually soil, peat moss or other water retaining material. They will need at least an inch deep of this material to lay in. You will very rarely see their eggs on the surface but will always see them about 15-20mm beneath the surface.

top: eggs in the peat moss.
bottom: the setup i use to breed my crickets..

re Cricket

I use bricklayers sand and mix it with some peat moss which holds water then spray it,the container is usually the size of medium ice cream size.Place female crix in the container and they will lay eggs,give them about 24 hrs laying time,take crix out snd seal the container placing in incubator at 32c and they hatch in about two weeks or less. :)

RE: re Cricket

do you actually seperate your male and female crix zulu?

you never have problems with mould in the egg container zulu?

re Cricket

Yeh if you have too much moisure you can get mould it has happened and no crix hatched also,i onley put females in to lay their eggs then take them out.Its all too easy,if you have little monitors on 24hr heat and they have the same clay brickys sand with a bit of peat moss mixed through it they will lay eggs under the hot area in a burrow.The monitors and crix need same conditions for egg production and laying but all the female crix will lay in cooler areas of the monitor cage especially around waterbowl,but little monitors and crix favour water sprayed areas.Given this all these thousands of crix hatch within the monitor setup and i set traps of egg cartons to catch them.It was the monitors that lay in the hot end in a burrow dug in sprayed sand and crix to middle to cool end,all this was accidental from uneaten crix,so it makes more sense i suppose to put female crix in laying container,and place in incubator so you dont have to catch thousands of feral crix :lol:

re Cricket

HA HA yeh its confusing,dont post much for that reason :lol:

No worries mate, it is good information once you sort it out :) lol :)
How do you sex crickets? Do you wait until you see them ovulate before putting them in the laying box :)

easy to tell in matured crickets monitor man.. the females have an ovipositor (long tube off their abdomen) the males usually have more defined wings.

re Cricket

Yeh MnM when you see the little fellas ovulating grab them for laying,theyll be the ones that looki like bran eating marbles with legs 8)

thanks exdic and zulu. Bran eating marbles, I'll have to remember that! Can't say I have ever seen bran eat anything though :)

re Cricket

No worrys MnM,ime not really good at explaining,i confuse myself,should have been a politician :lol:

thanks, so if i put in a container of peat moss in the container the females will lay their eggs?
do u have to warm it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back