Cricket gut load recipe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky85

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a recipe to make some gut load for crickets? Ive started buying bulk crickets and i want to:
a- keep them alive; and
b- keep them healthy to feed my frogs
I do use a vitamin powder when i feed them to my frogs
Cheers

I blend up a mixture of dry cat food, rolled Oates, rabbit pellets, skim milk powder and a couple of spoons of vitamin and calciumsupplement.

I use a mix of rodent pellets and dry cat food, I also feed them leafy greens like bok-choy as they are high in calcium and all round much better than using carrots.

Can anybody recommend a recipe to make some gut load for crickets? Ive started buying bulk crickets and i want to:
a- keep them alive; and
b- keep them healthy to feed my frogs
I do use a vitamin powder when i feed them to my frogs
Cheers

I use a mixture half rolled oats and half Chicken laying mash (The stuff that comes with corn, grain and pellets) blended up into a fine powder form.

dog biscuits,rat pellets etc whatever you have that is cheap. Forget the gut load and get some fresh veggies into them

I use rolled oats, dry dog food, bearded dragon pellets, a couple of heaped teaspoons of Repti vite and a good quality flaked fish food and run it all through the dry blender. If I have had to buy crix from the pet shop between orders I also chuck a few packs of gut load in the mix. My extra small crix dont stay extra small for very long, lol. They also get any uneaten vegies from the dragons at night. I get 4000 extra smalls at a time, plus 500 large every month or so.

Last edited:
Cheers guys. Ill give that a go. The crix dont always come with extra gut load and they dont seem to last as long on just greens. I have most of those ingredients at home so ill have a go myself and see what i can come up with.

Tropical fish flakes, carrot and bok choy or dandelion leaves. Simple and highly nutritous. Why make it any harder than you have to?

Most people overdo the vitamin and mineral supplementation. Once a week is enough and certainly no more often than two feeds a week. Try to provide some measure of varity in the diet, such as woodies, the ocassional mealworms, spiders, beetles, slaters, moths, caterpillars, grasshoppers, magggots (fed on pollard for two or three days), flies (minus the wings), earwigs, and chopped up eathworms. Crickets as a staple are not terrific. Adding some variety however will not only help provide a balanced nutrious diet but alsi adds some behavioural enrichment to your lizard's environment.

As indicated, removing some or all of the locomotory appendages of particularly fast moving prey will allow your reptiles to catch them without too much trouble.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
My dry food mix for general feeding is
Rolled oats
Breadcrumbs
Crushed Dog cubes
Milk powder
Powdered Cuttlebone

My gutload (fed to crickets within 12hrs of feeding to geckos)
Plain flour
Rice flour
Bakers yeast
Multi vitamin powder.
Paprika

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back