Croaking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kab_65

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Have recently aquired a couple of green and golden bell frogs which aren't all that old and i heard 1 of them croak for the first time yesterday :)
Now i know that the females are about 2 before they start to breed ( i presume so i read this whilst researching, correct me if i'm wrong ) but do the males start calling for a mate a lot earlier as i reckon my bells would only be a few months old?

Attachments

• 11062008533.jpg
    11062008533.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 11062008544.jpg
    11062008544.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 65
Hi,
I don't really have an answer for you but I have the same question too.
I have 3 redeyes less than a year old and one of them in particular is getting pretty vocal.
He (I think) only started calling about a week ago.
From the little I have read, they seem to call to either a) let any other males know that this is "my" territory b) after it rains (or when I spray them) or c) to attract females.
If you find out please post as it would be great to have an answer to this.
:)

Hi,
I don't really have an answer for you but I have the same question too.
I have 3 redeyes less than a year old and one of them in particular is getting pretty vocal.
He (I think) only started calling about a week ago.
From the little I have read, they seem to call to either a) let any other males know that this is "my" territory b) after it rains (or when I spray them) or c) to attract females.
If you find out please post as it would be great to have an answer to this.
:)

Females arn't vocal, so it is a male.

I suspected as much. Luckily I called him Cartman and not a girly name so I'm covered:D

Male frogs will start off (usually) with "practice calls", there is no set age and every type of frogs are different, Limnodynastes tasmaniensis, Spotted Marsh Frog have been known to start calling 2 months from morph. While I believe that most males of all species will be practice calling by 9 months at the latest. I have a male green tree that very rarely calls and the first time I heard him was 3 years old, while my citropa have started very early at about 3-4 months.

There are a number of theories of why they call: To claim territories, attract the female and also some seem to attract other male frogs and they gather in one area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back