Culling Rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bax so that was you with the 3 or so fridges set up???
I was going to come over and have a chat as I was at my mates stall near by, but you didn't wear your APS name card, so I wouldn't have known...:lol: There you go mate, we did actually acknowledge a glance as I walked by, probably because we are both handsome guys...:lol:
No you didn't imply the bi-carb method at all. There you go kiddies Bax has some nice cheap humanely killed rodents for sale and saves you the hassle, sounds good to me! ;) :D
Busted :shock: Did anyone have APS name cards this year? or have they still not kicked off as a trend? :lol: handsome? saturday I had been up 24hrs the previous day and polished of a bottle of rum after the dinner so was looking quite worse for ware!!
Make sure to say g'day next year ;)

Bax I saw you a few times ;)

My aps name card would have looked very strange if I got one :lol:

Just having a quick read through and I know there is alot of methods but 12 months ago when I was kulling 600 rats and mice a week it cost me $4.50 for half a kg of dry ice of which I only used about a quarter of it, Is this method no used by anyone else? I had RSPCA drop by several times (Nosey neighbour that hated me and my pets) and they said it was the only accepted method and I was doing the right thing.
Just asking what peoples thoughts are about it.
Cheers Colin

Never tried the dry ice method colin as I have always had a co2 bottle and regulator, I spose it could be an alternate method for those killing under a 1000 per week. Once you spend the money on the initial outlay for a co2 and regulator setup I doubt it would take long before it started costing you less then $4.50 per week though, a $50 refill lasts us around 6 weeks with over 2000 killed per week, so if only killing say 500 per week the cost would be around $2 per week!!

i was a donker, but CD is much faster.. just started using it last week... great way to cull...if only culling for your own collection..

now i havent actually culled any yet, but my understanding with co2 is that for a successfull HUMANE death you are not meant to put in to much co2. this way they just fall asleep due to not enough oxygen to the brain rather than suffocating from a large blast of co2 and not being able to breath at all.

if this is the case then the people that are taking 20 mins of suffocation might be using to much co2 so there is struggle, while the other way they are just falling unconscious quickly but not really being dead? not sure just a thought

Wouldn't in theory bi-carb and vinegar be CO2 anyway, given that is the result of the reaction? Same gas, different method of production.

Just to be weird... Is it possible to gas with Carbon Monoxide? because if there is a humane way of killing it is that. Problem would be obtaining CO. For those wondering why I bring it up, CO bonds with the blood cells in the same way as oxygen does, so slowly the body shuts down in a manner similar to going to sleep. No gasping for breath or struggling because the body doesn't respond to a 'lack of oxygen'. As far as it is aware there is oxygen, it's just not working.

NEWS FOR ALL YOU NEWBIE-WANNA CULL &-DONT KNOW-WHAT-TO-USE-REPTILE-PEOPLE!

Woolworths in NSW (safeway in melb) Are selling Soda Streams for $29.95 - (the one in cherrybrook i went to)

Its only 13 dollars a refill at kmart customer desk, and they last ageous, cheapest and easiest way to cull your rats.

Just went to aquarium store and asked for a filter plastic tube for 80 cents (and they threw in a T-intersection stone connector (which is good cause gas comes out both ways)... bought a small container (big enough for 5 large rats / or buy one depending on how many you will cull every month) - A little T inters, used a soldering iorn to make the holes, connected it to the pump, WALLA! I press down for 10 seconds, how bout you? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back