curious, what is the largest species of gecko in australia?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLACkra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just curious, what is the largest species of gecko in australia? did a couple searches of this forum and turned up nothing.

cheers

Andrew

I think Pseudothecadactylus lindneri is the biggest - Giant Cave Gecko from NT & Kimberleys in WA - it was in the 70's when I was working in Darwin.

Jamie.

yes mainland. didn't think of giant cave gecks, probably b/c the only one i have ever seen was like 5cm long :p

anybody else disagree or agree with giant cave geckos being the largest species of gecko found on mainland australia?

andrew

I thought the big leaf tailed geckos from northern Australia were the largest with some having an enormous SVL (bout 20cm or so).

I might be wrong!

-h

what is the largest species of gecko in australia?

I think you'll find that it's the Ring-tailed Gecko - Cyrtodactylus louisiadensis.

It has a snout-vent length of 160 mm & is the longest overall, having a long tail which is about the same length as the body. Which makes it about a foot long overall.

It depends what you mean by the "largest"?

Nephrurus amyae is the most massive Australian gecko, but only has a S-V length of 135 mm and a very short tail.

Pseudothecadactylus australis has the longest S-V length of the Giant Cave Geckos, at about 120 mm.

Reference: A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia, by Steve Wilson & Gerry Swan.

Zen's correct

Its the Ring Tail gecko by length I believe & Amyae by mass.

I currently have 9 x Ring Tailed eggs in the cooker - due to hatch any day now.

i ould have thought leafies aswell because they are long aswell as fat ??? like danny said salebrosus that is probably what ide say

I've checked the bible (Cogger) and he has the Northern Leaf-tail (cornutus) with a S-V length of 16 cm.
That equals the Ring-tailed Geckos 160 mm S-V length but as cornutus has a significantly shorter tail than the Ring-tail, I would argue that the Ring-tailed Gecko is the longest in overall length.

Saltuarius salebrosus generally exceed the size of most ringtails in both length and bulk.
Geckodan, what's your source for these stats :?:

Geckodan keeps and breeds both ring tails and S.salebrosus, so I guess his source of stats are all his animals LOL!

Geckodan, what's your source for these stats
Hold a ringtail and a salebrosus of identical SVL in your hand and its pretty obvious why the salebrosus is "bigger". There's just more gecko in your hand.

Hold a ringtail and a salebrosus of identical SVL in your hand and its pretty obvious why the salebrosus is "bigger". There's just more gecko in your hand.

Fair enough.
Depends what you mean by "bigger" though.

Looks like my gecko knowlege is definitely out of date!!!

J.

i reckon ringtails are bigger.

Go to Chillagoe, north q and you can find them up to 25cm SVL

from what i have read around the place ring tails are the longest but the rough knob tails are the most massive(over 60g). i agree though that saltuarius species(leaf tails) are definelty worthy contenders. i dont currently keep any of these species(in a couple of months hopefully i might) so i guess the best source would be danny cause he keeps them all...and a lot of them i have been led to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back