Cute when They are little..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NETTEDGURU

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Cute when they are tiny :D Hungry little guys though, esp when you have 13 of them and more hatching as we speak. :]
IMG_6428.jpg

aww adorable, what species, jackie dragon is it?

yea big ones get about 8cm svl. I beleieve they have been changed to Ctenophorus diemensis? Still mountain dragons. Ill post up some pics of adults tonight.

...I beleieve they have been changed to Ctenophorus diemensis? Still mountain dragons...
This is news to me! What's your source of information on the change of genus?

They were originally described as Tympanocryptis diemensis, then Amphibolurus diemensis (I think), and more recently Rankinia diemensis. I personally can't see the typical Ctenophorus "smile".

[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]

Last edited:
For the Ctenophorus I read it on one of Moloch's posts when he was in Wa lat year or the year before if im correct.
Some of their grandparents:
IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

Will have to get some pics of this years breeders. They are a cross between the last two photoed have the extreme deap red with yellow instead of white. Very nice. WIll be very interested to see how this years turn out. (thats if they dont sell out lol)

Thanks for the source of the name change. David is well informed so your source is reliable. I'll try and track down the paper through him. Cheers.

Such rich, colourful pics and specimens you have there. They are quite similar to Jacky Dragons. It's easy to see how those not familiar with the two species get them confused. The colours on diemensis are arguably richer than on muricatus.

Last edited:
jacky dragons are a few cm bigger (SVL) but with small dragons thats about 50%. Jacky dragons also have longer tails and are usually more black, brown, green, white coloured and dont usually have red and certainly not to the extent of the mountains. Due to the mountains reaching sexual maturity so fast its easy to select best coloured ones and breed from them year after year and go throgh many generations.

so if they have been changed to ctenophorus does that mean there are no rankinia species left?

They are still Rankinia diemensis, in WA, they are classed as Ctenophorus on the WAM lists. It's a WA thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back