Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killimike

Reaction score
D. vittatus - no pics as I can't upload them :(

Here are a few pics of my vittatus. They seem lighter in colour than most I have seen, and their dorsal stripe much more broken.

Pair
vittatuspair.jpg

Male
vittatusmale.jpg

Female
vittatusfem.jpg

Female
vittatusfemclose.jpg

I love these tiny little guys, they are really active, even if heaps unco when trying to catch crickets.

Last edited:
Beautiful D.vittatus. Do you have any photos of the enclosure?

I only have experience with D.granariensis, D.galeatus and Lucasium stenodactylum (formerly Diplodactylus) but D.vittatus have always been on the to-get list.

Very nice mate, I need to add some Diplo's to my collection soon I think

Cheers guys :)

These gex have definitely made me wanna get some more diplos already! I heartily recommend them. Mine at least are out often, and they are very compact little guys.

I will take a pic of the enclosure, but it's very simple. 9L tub from Bunnings, a few mm of sand in the bottom and a few peanut butter lids and half toilet rolls as hides. I mist the cool end every second night or so, usually the gex will come over and lick the walls as soon as I put the lid back on :)

Do you still have those other diplos Rocket? ;)

I haven't kept the L.stenodactylum in ages as I only had a single male. I recently sold all of my D.g.granariensis and only have three D.galeatus left.

Ahh, that's a shame Rocket, I am getting a bit gecko mad, and I would love another Diplo (or ex diplo like damaeum etc) :D

I do not know the locality of these guys, but I was presuming that these kinda features might well be linked where abouts they come from in their natural range. I'd love to get some darker, more solidly striped vittatus, or some from a known locality too. Do you know of any locality specific populations in captivity GeckPhotographer? Maybe Danny Brown will have some...

I do not know of any locality specific populations in captivity, I really wish I did, I might get some if I did. The features in these species have been shown to be extremely variable at all locations of there range. That said I have noticed the ones near me which are some of the most Eastern populations there are are extremely dark with almost gold completely unbroken lines, and the more arid ones lighter brown stripes on brown.

They are great geckos to keep, they were the first gecko I caught as a kid many years ago... I found a pair of them under a log that was around our camp fire.... iI'm lucky enough to have plenty of them living around the suburb that I live...

Hey Jason, would you agree with the colours I earlier posted about these eastern ones, I have not seen particularly many of them but as they are apparently in plenty in your suburb I thought you might have seen more?

They seem pretty standard in those pics, they can vary quite alot, even within the one area / population.. I got some off Danny Brown some years back and bred a stack of them, they were pretty light then, I recently saw some decendents of that line and they were lighter again. I found that captive bred animals outbreed WC ones 10/1.

Nice couple of Geckos there Killimike,

Bit of useless information for ya...there's a name for a Lightning pattern on the back of Japanese Koi called Inazuma ;) maybe you could call your line of Stony's that.

Thanks for that info guys! The colour form up your way sounds beautiful GP, any pics? I'm gonna have to go see if I can't see these guys in the wild some time.

Cheers Smithers! I was never heaps into koi, but I'm coming to appreciate them more. That does sound like a cool name for a line, that I might one day develop :)

Ooops thought I posted this already hours ago. :p

I only have some not so good pics from the ones I have found up my way and looking at them the line seems a little duller than I remember which could be my memory or the effect of the camera. Anyway here is a pic. But as Jason said they are variable and I would have assumed all the Sydney basin ones to look like those just a little bit north, so perhaps it is just a few individuals who were the colour I saw, perhaps even how light or dark they are is based on day and night time colour change.... I have not seen nearly enough to really know.

P3208629.jpg

Here are my two, I think both are girls, took shots of both vents but only one appears to have uploaded they both look the same anyway. Not sure what locale they are from but think they might both actually be from different locales.
Gecko 2
5872057576_13c346db20.jpg

Gecko 2
5872057570_0f84879fc9.jpg

Gecko 1

By the way yes Gecko 2 is looking quite thin at the moment because it is coming into winter and eating less, but for some reason it would never get fat anyway, even when I was packing them with food in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back