Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure whether these should be posted in a separate thread or here as my intention is not to hijack the thread and its original topic...

....but I thought I'd throw in some Diplodactylus galeatus. These are stunning, very hungry geckos that unfortunately, I only keep three of at the moment. The female did lay two eggs around six-months ago but they proved infertile.

Attachments

• P6280007.JPG
    P6280007.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 37
  • P6280013.JPG
    P6280013.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P6280023.JPG
    P6280023.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 39
  • P6280025.JPG
    P6280025.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P6280030.JPG
    P6280030.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 50
I loooove these guys that last pics a cracking critter,....good luck with the breeding this yr ;)

I'm sure you and I can work out trade possibilities Smithers... ;).

Theres a few I'm in need of that I know you own :)

Nice geckos, I love the Helmeted, like the beautiful D.pulcher but without the really annoying thin nose. (Just in my opinion I don't like the appearance of D.pulchers' nose. :p)

Beautiful helmeteds Rocket! By all means post pics :D I too wish you luck in breeding them... You have very refined gecko aesthetics GP! :D

It's interesting that you say they are hungry Rocket, my vittatus always seem keen on crickets, but are hopeless at catching them. I haven't trialled it systematically yet, but it looks like putting the crix in the fridge first helps. For the first time last night I saw the female strike at a cricket, and mistakenly get the male's tail! She let go after a sec and neither seem worse for wear.

I dunno if it's been mentioned, but Danny Brown's new site has some beautiful photos of dark, high contrast vitattus, that were taken by Moloch, so the same pics may well be on APS somewhere.

Not to hijack your thread. I will post pics of Rocket's Western Stones that have just come into my collection. I have wound the heat back up on them and they are going off their heads eating crickets.
Rocket i wish we could have the helmeteds here, they look sensational.

Would love some more pics!

Freeloader, Mexicans can't keep galeatus? Makes no sense. Of course, they are on the more advanced licence in NSW, which also makes no sense. So they are off limits to me for a while yet. :( As are your lovely granariensis! I'll content myself with pics...

When I get tubs up and running that work for these kinds of geckos I might get some Helmets, and anyone know if Lucasium steindachneri are out there? Do you have advice on how to build tubs that house these guys, seeing as they are semi arboreal?

Probably will not get into vittatus themselves for a while though.

Danny Brown has most of these guys I believe, tho probably not regularly available.

All the enclosures I have seen on here and youtube etc have essentially treated vittatus, galeatus, steindachneri, damaeum, stenodactylus etc as terrestrial and just had hides, I remember some having some basic decorations like a rock or branch in there, but they weren't an essential part of the decor. YMMV.

Haha what I mean is more along the line of them escaping if not having a fitted top, i.e. enclosed like Nephrurus are as they cannot climb.

I might look into the Danny Brown ones but I like picking up animals not freighting etc.

Oh duh, sorry :p Yeah, apparently you can't just have an open top like with nephrurus, as these guys are semi-arboreal and can climb, but aren't as bad as Oedura or Strophurus. So I have heard. So an enclosed tub system should be fine, with fitting lids. Or small Reptile One terraria or exoterras I guess.

Wondering about making open style sliding tubs that slide into close fitting flat plastic with drilled holes. Regardless it is a little while till I can get my class two so this is just advance planning, would love to see more pictures, geckos, cages whatever.

In regards to the Helmeteds, they indeed like to climb. I regularly see them running vertically and horizontally along the plastic walls of their tubs and see their dried faeces up near the lid complete with skin-marks. I'm not sure how they'd go climbing glass but to me, ventilated lids are essential.

Ahh, that's interesting Rocket! Always better safe than down a cute gecko.

I think SpongeBob may have referred to keeping arboreal geckos in sliding-tub racks, I think it was in a DIY rack thread of his.

These are 3 of the 5 i recently got from Rocket. Adult male, female and juv.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 51
Glad you're happy with them mate.

They are productive geckos and I'm sure you've noticed, eat heaps!

Very happy thanks mate. Once i had them on heat a few days they were running around smashing crickets. They are a gecko that i haven't kept before, so i look forward to seeing how they go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back