Dangers of second-hand enclosures?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo back to the original topic...
Jess have you considered a conversion? You can pick up some very cheap old cabinets around the place. Then you just need to add the heating and the glass

oops sorry haha got carried away abit. Btw hugo there is a store near my uni where i found all the stuff cheaper even with our discounts, he has heat cords and bigger mats and stuff. Tell you later so we dont kill this thread any more.
Agree with Saximus, ive seen some amazing conversions on this site. But im terrible with tools lol so i found it hard to try something on my own, hence my sparky mate is doing my enclosure for me. Got it second hand for $50 and its come a long way. Still need to paint it and wire it up but if you can find something like that Jess it would be heaps good. Have a look on ebay....i found mine on there, will post before and after shots when its done..

I don't think the risk of infection/infestation in a disinfected second hand enclosure is any greater than the risk of infection/infestation in any newly acquired snake/herp....

Thanks for suggestions and reassurance, guys. I don't think conversion is an option for me, I'm terrible with tools and tradies are so expensive here in Melbourne!! I'm still a few months away from purchase so I'll see how finances are and what's on offer. I'd prefer to get a timber enclosure as it gets pretty cold here, a glass setup might be a bit too hard to keep the temps up? Thanks!

- Jess

Thanks for suggestions and reassurance, guys. I don't think conversion is an option for me, I'm terrible with tools and tradies are so expensive here in Melbourne!! I'm still a few months away from purchase so I'll see how finances are and what's on offer. I'd prefer to get a timber enclosure as it gets pretty cold here, a glass setup might be a bit too hard to keep the temps up? Thanks!

- Jess

Did you get my PM Jess

If you get a second hand enclosure make sure it is made of glass not timber
Simply spray it inside and out with laundry bleach
put it outside in the sun for 48 hours
Chlorine will kill any bug
Sun removes the chlorine
Rinse it out very well and you are perfectly safe
Places like St vinnies etc sell aquariums for about $50
All you will need to add is a lockable mesh top, uv lamp and heat pad
All up less than $200

If you are getting a hatchy, keep it in a tub for several months, until it is bigger. Its safer (no worry about tiny snakes getting out) and easier to clean. Even with a larger python, you could use a tub short term.
It also gives you time to save up/look for for the perfect enclosure.

Second hand should be fine, but don't rush into it.
Our first enclosure was second hand, and a real pain to get into to change the heat lamp - only the top half opened, and it was extremely hard to unscrew the lamp cage to change the bulb.
I didn't replace the cage properly early on, which resulted in our python getting burnt.
Many expensive vet trips later, he was fine, but it shouldn't have happened.
We don't use that enclosure any more, and wouldn't have chosen that design with a bit more experience.

Good luck with everything :)

Thanks for your PM kaotikjezta, funnily enough that's who I am thinking I will get my enclosure from! They are a very reasonable price. Can I ask a total newbie question, I've done quite a bit of reading in books & online and can't find a straight answer - I know that hatchies are better off in click-clacks for a good while, but how do I keep the micro-climate going at the right temp & humidity? is a heat mat under the tub enough? I have been looking for an enclosure as I thought I'd need to keep the tub IN the larger enclosure to ensure warmth? Is this right? Thanks again for everyone's help :)

You can use a heat mat under about a third of the click clack or you can just put it inside the big enclosure. The heat mat will likely give you a better gradient but as long as it's warm enough for proper digestion it doesn't need to be perfect. Conditions in the wild are rarely ideal

Putting the tub inside an enclosure (assuming the enclosure has a heat lamp) could cause the tub to become too hot inside.
Just be careful of that ;)

Better to just place one third of your tub onto a heat mat or heat cord. You can hook the heat source up to a Thermostat if you wish. We personally don't bother, BUT we use an Infrared Temperature Gun to carefully monitor the temps we get.

Putting the tub inside an enclosure (assuming the enclosure has a heat lamp) could cause the tub to become too hot inside.
Just be careful of that ;)

Better to just place one third of your tub onto a heat mat or heat cord. You can hook the heat source up to a Thermostat if you wish. We personally don't bother, BUT we use an Infrared Temperature Gun to carefully monitor the temps we get.

I quite often have a click-clack inside a regular enclosure heated with heat lamps, it makes no difference if you add a little more ventilation to the click-clack, you will still get a good heat gradient without an issue. Bear in mind that the click clack i use is covered (8 rows of holes spaced 20mm appart on each side, 12 rows same spacing on the lid) in holes on all 4 sides and the top. I still have a dual probe thermometer in the click clack just so i can keep an eye on the temps

Just tryin' to keep it simple for a first-timer ;):D

Okay sounds good, I think I'll get the Woma hatchie and keep in a tub with a heat mat for a while and get the enclosure at my own pace. Thanks for the prompt help all!

Mate,

I dont see how you couldnt get a 4x2x2 on a stand fully fitted lights and a thermostat for $600.

If you where upo north I would get you one for around half that price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back