Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mauesha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hiya's
I'm relatively new to this community and was wondering why people keep venomous/deadly snakes? Surely you cant hold them and give them cuddles etc?

mauesha said:
Hiya's
I'm relatively new to this community and was wondering why people keep venomous/deadly snakes? Surely you cant hold them and give them cuddles etc?
If you want to hold and cuddle something get a bunny rabbit or boyfriend :p

I keep plants, enjoy them even if i cant cuddle them. :D

Like Peter said with keeping fish, and remember people keep deadly native fish also.

Matt

It's the interest in the animal, its behaviour/looks/personality/etc. Some keep them for the 'cool' factor of a deadly animal as a pet, some for display enclosures (a death adder enclosure or two would be a lovely addition to my lounge suit :)).

I'm sure most do it to learn more about the animals they are interested in.

Matt what deadly native fish do you mean?

RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

Most people keeps herps because it interests them, I keep alot of geckoes and many of them I can't touch. Although I do know someone who cuddles his taipans but thats another story. :wink:

Even some of the deadliest ones tame down extremely well, as I'm sure some on here will most certainly agree. While there are always risks involved with doing this sort of thing (handling vens), there are many more risks out in the wider world which we all seem oblivious to. Some of the most tolerant snakes to handling I’ve seen have been tiger snakes of all things. So yes, if you’re mad enough, you can cuddle your inland taipan etc :lol:

i only have cateroy 1, so for now i only keep red belies untill i up grade and can keep adders and feirce snakes (my fav) I dont keep them for the cool factor in fact i have freinds come over to look at my collection who arnt herpers and i wont mention the vens to save controversy, i keep them for my pleasure and fasination

This is a good question IMO.

I mean, they may calm down eventually, but what about before they do and there is always a risk, even the tamest python can lash out if it feels like doing so. Having said that, the only thing stopping me from starting the ball rolling on keeping venomous snakes is my kids, I would never have something so deadly in my home until my youngest child is old enough to fully comprehend the danger (this won't be for at least 10 years), but they are beautiful creatures and I can definately see the attraction of keeping them.

Do you guys that own them free handle without any kind of protection?

Do you guys that own them free handle without any kind of protection?
:lol:
i have a tiger that loves a cuddle, and a python that would eat my face ..
tigers make the best display, imo, except for the smell,,
so many colors and active during the day..great poisonalities to,,
pythons come out at night and would prefer to sit on a log or in a hide for days, still love them all though
baz

the_brad said:
i only have cateroy 1, so for now i only keep red belies untill i up grade and can keep adders and feirce snakes (my fav) I dont keep them for the cool factor in fact i have freinds come over to look at my collection who arnt herpers and i wont mention the vens to save controversy, i keep them for my pleasure and fasination

Red bellies are beautiful snakes, but what happens if you get bitten?

zulu said:
mauesha said:
Hiya's
If you want to hold and cuddle something get a bunny rabbit or boyfriend :p

Nah, I'll stick to girls thanx =)

Re: RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

JasonL said:
Most people keeps herps because it interests them, I keep alot of geckoes and many of them I can't touch. Although I do know someone who cuddles his taipans but thats another story. :wink:

Why cant you touch your geckoes?

RE: Re: RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

Hmmm never heard of stonefish being kept outside of pulic aquariums. Interesting pet though, Lion fish too depending on how you thought about them.

Carp are lethal animals jumping out of the water at you with big teeth and attacking you ........ or did I dream it? :)

If a red belly bit you you would get sick and be rushed to hospital. No deaths of adults from red belly bites have ever been recorded. Still a nasty bite though. Basically because people find the venomous species interesting because they are different. Like I am interested in death adders because of how significantly different they are in appearance and behaviour to the pythons that I keep.

RE: Re: RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

There are quite a few venomous fish and fish that could give you a nice little "wallop".

-Electric catfish (Heard they can hurt)
-Stonefish (Very dangerous)
-Walking catfish (Venomous spines)
-Tandunus Catfish (Venomous spine)

They are all being kept in Australian household aquariums :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back