Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

simone i dont always let all the girls hold my snakes.
and i mean that in a herpy way!!
some chicks (eg day olds) generally come home with me in groups to spend time
with me and my babies.
and one day i will own a red belly.
the ven snake one.

Re: RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

Thor1 said:
simone i dont always let all the girls hold my snakes.
and i mean that in a herpy way!!
some chicks (eg day olds) generally come home with me in groups to spend time
with me and my babies.
and one day i will own a red belly.
the ven snake one.

If you have a herpy snake, perhaps you should have a doctor check it out? :roll: :p

Hmmm why to keep vens?

I keep mine because of the absolute awe and admiration I have for them.

They are evolutionary genius!

Don't get me wrong, I love pythons, and other non-venomous herps, but nothing gets my heart up more (animal wise peoples!!) than relocating a bloody aggro brown who wants to kiss me. Of all the animals we're allowed to keep, my favourite colouration is that of an inland taipan coming up to winter

As for using them to 'pick up chicks', well, i'm partnered up already... but that said, only my closer friends (other than those here on these forums) know that I keep reptiles ;) :wink:

Why do I keep them? Because they're amazing, fascinating, awe-inspiring animals :D

Cheers,
Aaron.

mauesha said:
I'm relatively new to this community and was wondering why people keep venomous/deadly snakes? Surely you cant hold them and give them cuddles etc?

While seversal people have answered the question from their point of view (fascination, beauty, pick up chicks etc.), no-one has addressed the rationale behind the question.

As it is phrased, the question implies that animals are kept as pets so they can be held and cuddled. This line of thinking is a result of the the keeping of traditional pets like dogs and cats, and even tam birds. These animals enjoy human companionship and can be quite affectionate.

Many people assume that the only reason to keep pets is because they can be affectionate, and former members of this site got upset when we told them that their hatchling python would never "love" them.

Snakes are wild animals. They may be kept as pets, but they are not pets.

:p

Hix

Maybe that should've been worded "They may be kept as pets, but they are not domesticated" but I knew what you meant

Hey Sdaji,
re your adder shots, no-one likes a show off :lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously, they are very stunning shots, well done.

keeping a deadly snake is not much different than keeping a pitbull or a dingo cross, i mean what happens if you get attacked by one of them

Re: RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

Rennie said:
Maybe that should've been worded "They may be kept as pets, but they are not domesticated" but I knew what you meant

I thought about wording it that way, but decided not to. You got the idea though. Pets are domesticated, and reptiles are not. They may tame down and become handleable, even friendly, but they are still wild animals. To paraphrase what I said, they may be kept as pets, treated like pets, and considered pets. But they're not.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: Re: Deadly Snakes

every animal was wild and undomesticated once upon a time......

Spotty any dog can attack not just the one or two specific breeds.

sdaji, show us the Djarra's, if they don't make anyone fall in love with elapids nothing will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back