Dealing with customers..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
Today was not exactly the most relaxing day for a 17 year old KFC employee... People act like you run the whole damn company and that everything is your fault. Made worse when you don't get along with your fellow managers and employees. But alas, I'm in it for the money. What is everyone's coping strategies dealing with cranky customers in retail? :|

Tell them i dont get paid enough to listen to there problems an see them to a manager. I put up with complaining customers for 3 years before i really had enough (returns/repairs in a big electrical goods retailer).

Rick

Smile and be extra nice :) it either makes them nicer or crankier (which in my opinion is more fun lol).

I worked in retail for years. I found it best to not take anything negative to heart. Some people are just in a bad mood and looking for someone to yell at.

You probably don't get along with your manager and coworkers because in my experience the younger fast food workers aren't very bright lol.

I headbutt people when they ask for cash out when they've already started paying with eftpos.

Smile and be extra nice :) it either makes them nicer or crankier (which in my opinion is more fun lol).

I worked in retail for years. I found it best to not take anything negative to heart. Some people are just in a bad mood and looking for someone to yell at.

You probably don't get along with your manager and coworkers because in my experience the younger fast food workers aren't very bright lol.

Thank you for sticking me with a stereotype. :|

Today was not exactly the most relaxing day for a 17 year old KFC employee... People act like you run the whole damn company and that everything is your fault. Made worse when you don't get along with your fellow managers and employees. But alas, I'm in it for the money. What is everyone's coping strategies dealing with cranky customers in retail? :|

Welcome to the intellect of humanity. Get a job where you don't have to deal with people! Much less stressful.

Welcome to the intellect of humanity. Get a job where you don't have to deal with people! Much less stressful.
Unfortunately most of those jobs involve many years of study, vast knowledge, and more importantly - loads of brains ,unless you become a monk or nun in one of those closed off religious communities or you become a recluse and a hermit.

Unfortunately most of those jobs involve many years of study, vast knowledge, and more importantly - loads of brains.......

Most, not all.

I joined the railways 15 years ago and after a couple of years dealing with the delinquents, I became a train driver. Now I get to see all their happy faces on their way to work and they get to see my happy face coz I'm on the way home, and at no point do I have to deal with them! :)

Last edited:
I don't work in retail but I have to deal with some very difficult 'customers' some times. The best piece of advice I can give you is don't take their bad manners personally, you can bet your bottom dollar they are like it with most people. In my experience people who are abusive in these circumstances do it because they now its not a 'level playing field' and you are at a disadvantage from the word go if you want to keep your job (that's why they do it). It is frustrating when people are rude to you but at the end of the day there is a lot to be said for conducting yourself with dignity. I firmly believe that people who abuse others deep down are unhappy and one day they get what's due, its just a shame you are not always there to see it.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Try running bars for 12 straight years of your life and dealing with boozed up people EVERY working day of your life.
"Patience of a saint"? - That quote ain't got nothing on me.
My coping mechanisms - a few courses in conflict resolution, a few years as a bouncer, learning not to take things personally, POEPLE SKILLS, smile and wave, always find the humour in any situation and a big long stiff hard drink at the end of the day.

Despite the headaches and ups and downs in every shift I've ever worked in this industry, I've never once woken up thinking "I don't want to go to work today because I hate my job." For that I feel pretty blessed because not many people on this earth can say that, and the day I do is the day that it's time for me to walk away...

Learning to deal with customers will teach you people skills that will serve you well for the rest of your life regardless of your career path.

Learning to deal with customers will teach you people skills that will serve you well for the rest of your life regardless of your career path.

That is so very true! :) you are wise Firepac

I'm in a position where I can bluntly tell a potential client that either their demands are unrealistic & a compromise is needed.
If they still insist in "knowing better" then I suggest they take their business to the opposition.
70% of the time they come back all humble & apologetic stating that the opposition was rude, uninterested & overpriced.

I'm in a position where I can bluntly tell a potential client that either their demands are unrealistic & a compromise is needed.
If they still insist in "knowing better" then I suggest they take their business to the opposition.
70% of the time they come back all humble & apologetic stating that the opposition was rude, uninterested & overpriced.

I'm pretty damn blunt with customers too when they think they know better than me about how I should be doing my job, or when they have a 'you're my servant, not here to serve me' attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back