Defensive spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianp

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but i just want to make sure. i have had a hatchling blonde spotted since the weekend, Last night i got home and he had pood in a couple spots in the tank, he was on the cool side so i put my hand in the hot side and started cleaning up the peices, he didnt move but sat up in a S shape and was doing a circular movement with his body. which im pretty sure was a defensive stance. so i stopped doing what i was doing and removed my hand. after closing the lid to the click clack he sat straight back down and moved around the tank and eventualy back into his hide. this morning when he was still in his hide i took the whole lid off and cleaned the tank properly, during this time he came out of his hide crawled straight up to the top of the tank and up on to my arm. my question is what may have caused him to be so defensive when i had no intentions of trying to put my hand near him last night. and then today to be curious and climb up on me. admittidly he was a bit timid and nervous but after a couple minutes he was quite relaxed.

He's just a frightened little baby, imagine a gigantic arm coming into your room to remove something messy, a bit frightening. IMO, I find it's best to take him out of the enclosure when spot cleaning or doing a full clean, in time he won't be so defensive when you enter his little home, it's all apart of the growing stage, it's apart of their natural defensive nature :)

Last edited:
yeah i figured that. But i was hoping it wont affect him to much. in future i'll take him out of his enclosure to clean, i was just trying to spot clean without having to touch or move him cause he is still settling in to his new home....

Whilst I am a noob (will be picking up my Spotted hatchy in the next couple of weeks) I reckon he is still a bit edgey and settling into his new home. I have always been advised not to handle a new animal until it has had its first feed in its new home (which is an indicator that it is settling and starting to feel comfortable).

Maybe your guy is still settling in and your cleaning regime (which was necessary) put him off guard a little. Whilst I am a noob, I would be encouraged by his behaviour this morning. Maybe he picked up an odd scent, or did not sense you properly, or maybe you inadvertently startled him which put him on the defensive the first time you tried to clean.

Sounds like you are gonna have a nice Spotted once he settles right in.

Robert

Bart im a noob to, i had all intentions of leaving him alone, ill be feeding him on sunday as long as he doesnt start shedding before then, hopefully he eats as good as he did the day i picked him up. he had 2 pinkys and barely hesitated on them. im hoping he turns out to be a nice spotted. his parents and grandparents stand by never biting anyone if thats anything to go by lol

Bart im a noob to, i had all intentions of leaving him alone, ill be feeding him on sunday as long as he doesnt start shedding before then, hopefully he eats as good as he did the day i picked him up. he had 2 pinkys and barely hesitated on them. im hoping he turns out to be a nice spotted. his parents and grandparents stand by never biting anyone if thats anything to go by lol

I would have done the same thing if mine had pooped during her settle in period so don't be too worried. We picked ours out earlier in the week and she was defensive and snappy to start with, then settled down after my wife handled her for 10mins and started exploring. I reckon with a bit of handling she will be fine. If yours came out exploring and climbed on to your hand I reckon you are doing well and he will settle in nicely with a bit of time.

Cheers,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back