defrosting mice ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Step 1: Remove rodent from the freezer, leaving the plastic bag on.
Step 2: Place in plastic container and leave in fridge overnight to defrost.
Step 3: Still leaving the plastic bag on rodent, fill plastic container with hot water.
Step 4: When nice and warm, serve with large tongs.

8)

The main problem with the hot water method is that you are producing an optimum temperature for bacteria growth for a period o time which starts the bugs up then often putting them into another warm environment where the bugs can keep growing. not really a prob if eaten immediately but if left overnight?

I don't think this is an issue, as people thawing in a warm bowl of water are generally feeding immediately - the warm water only takes between 10 - 30mins so is ideal for a quick thaw and feed...I do agree that the longer thawing methods (such as just leaving the mouse out overnight) run this risk though...

put them in the microwave they make a nice popping noise at about 11 seconds.:D

LOL!! Speaking from experience?? I got a good one... I asked my partner to defrost a (fair sized) rat for me... He did this by putting it in MY MICROWAVE and left it there for over a minute!! I came back inside to find the rat making popping noises and it bursted!! I made him take it out,a dn clean it!! It was discusting!! I had to get a new microwave, coz the smell wouldnt go away!! :shock:

I now defrost them myself and i use warm to hot water in a designated "rats only" chinese container, and bobs you uncle!! :D

Thawing in hot water from the tap is by far the safest way to go. The speed of bacterial growth is a temperature x time equation, and the quick nature of hot-water thawing ensures an absolute minimum of bacterial growth before feeding because of the limited time spent at the higher temperature.

Conversely, placing a mouse (or rat) in the fridge or on the bench for 12-24 hours will allow far more bacterial activity to take place before feeding. Our food animals are intact with all the gut contents, there are huge amounts of bacteria living in the gut of all animals, most are harmless, but even a slight rise in temperature for a few hours will accelerate the growth of harmful bacteria unacceptably.

Mice will usually thaw in about 5-8 minutes, larger rats may take a couple of changes over a 20-30 minute period, and just check that the animal feel fully thawed by pressing your fingers into its belly to ensure it is warmed through.

I usually feed wet if I'm not using fresh-killed, and as others have indicated, I believe it helps with hydration. I have never had a problem feeding wet, and my snakes are just as enthusiastic about a wet meal as a dry one.

Jamie.

Hi everyone,

I put the mouse in a sandwich bag, leave the top open, and hang it from the ducted heating vent in the kitchen ceiling for 10 mins; defrosts nicely.

I explained the whole 'I have to defrost it first' thing to my parents when they stayed with me last week, but I still got weird looks from them. Probably 'cause the mouse was flapping around in the bag like a tattslotto ball.

My snake is plenty hydrated from the water in his bowl that he drinks. I warm them in hot water in a plastic bag, cause wet rats are gross. Plus I don't want Scurvy squeezing out rat-water on the table he's being fed on. Yuck.

As for the "gut bacteria" ... I'm pretty sure that they would be killed by the freezer temps they're kept at for such a long time.

pinkies & fuzzies go straight in a small tub of hot water for around 5ish min (til the feel warm and soft).
big rats go in a snap-lock bag in a tub of hot water and are left for longer.

I defrost mine in the fridge for 24 hours, and dunk the bag into warm water for 15 minutes before feeding.

i once went to some snake breeders house and he put his frozen mice in the fereezer for like 2mins, the came out like almost cooked, he also feed these to babt BHP's.

I used to use the hot water method , now i just leave them out till they thaw .
I have found my diamonds prefer them at room temp .
But my childrens prefer them warmed a little , with hot tap water .

I do the same as aww yeah- I put the pinkie in some paper towel, sit it on top of the enclosure, and it's defrosted in not long.

Lil Ben

i once went to some snake breeders house and he put his frozen mice in the fereezer for like 2mins, the came out like almost cooked, he also feed these to babt BHP's.

You sure he put the frozen mice in the freezer and they cam out cooked?:?

Speaking of defrosting mice (yes I'm going ever so slight O/T sorry), how do you get a beardie to eat a pinkie mouse? Seeing as a dead pinkie mouse doesn't move much, lol. My beardies won't even go for a cricket unless it is hopping around madly!

One word

Speaking of defrosting mice (yes I'm going ever so slight O/T sorry), how do you get a beardie to eat a pinkie mouse? Seeing as a dead pinkie mouse doesn't move much, lol. My beardies won't even go for a cricket unless it is hopping around madly!

Tweezers and jungle it in front of it. Ne persistant. If after a while you don't give it a break or even leave it in a the dinner plate for it to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back