Dehydration in python eggs.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macca05,
I dunno why so many say that when water touchs an egg it will kill it?. If you summegred an egg for to long it will kill it. But Over the years when ever ive had the odd egg on top of a clutch dry out to much to soon ive always just put water in the top dent and mums the word, works a treat.

Thanks i will do that and see how it goes. The container has measured equal parts of 200g each. 200g of vermiculite is quite a lot when you weigh it. Its thickness in the box is about an inch maybe more. I then have a cultery tray that i cut to fit and upside down. Like the egg crate stuff which i cant find. Ill take a photo and post it :)

Last edited:
macca05,
I dunno why so many say that when water touchs an egg it will kill it?. If you summegred an egg for to long it will kill it. But Over the years when ever ive had the odd egg on top of a clutch dry out to much to soon ive always just put water in the top dent and mums the word, works a treat.
Reptilian embryos exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide gas through their shell. However, it is not through the whole surface of the shell. A storage sac for nitrogenous wastes, called the allantois, develops a rich mass of blood vessels that lie just below the surface of the shell. This is the essential region where gas exchange (breathing) takes place.

Addition of water to the outside of the shell will immensely reduce the rate at which gas exchange can occur. So if water covers the allantois region for any length of time, death of the embryo can result. This can happen most readily when placing an egg too deeply into overly saturated substrate. This is no doubt the origin of the advice not to get water on eggs.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back