Diamond Back Rattler

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dtulip10 wrote:
"clearly you have never been around vipers like some of the north american rattlers its the only safe way to handle them, because they can strike at two times there body length so tailing is not an option."
Sorry mate, but I have been with these things....
PS Have you ever heard of using a snake hook?

Police then called Brandon Booth, a professional trapper.

"When I got there, I looked at it and said, 'That's bigger than 6 feet,'" Booth said. "I didn't have time to really think. I just jumped out of the truck with my gig and got him. He wasn't going to get away."

Booth said he had no choice but to kill the venomous snake because there were lots of people around and a venomous snake that big could easily kill someone.

He said he usually won't kill a snake unless it's venomous.

" I'm not a snake wrestler."
Well glad they called a 'professional ' in ...bloody hell he only kills the venomous now

Optical illusion created by wide angle lens and distance btw the snake and background. There was one like that on the internet before (also diamondback). We have seen the same trick with crocodile on the back of a trailer. Good fun though.

That's a 30ft rake don't you know.

because they can strike at two times there body length so tailing is not an option.
How does that work? Say it's a 7' snake, does it extend its full 7' length, then fly through the air for another 7' to get that strike range of twice its body length? ;)

How does that work? Say it's a 7' snake, does it extend its full 7' length, then fly through the air for another 7' to get that strike range of twice its body length? ;)
snakes are stretchy creatures.

rattle snakes are known as pit vipers by most i have worked with them in america and i have seen them fling there entire body into a strike and literally launch at you easily striking there entire body mainly diamond backs i have seen do this

rattle snakes are known as pit vipers by most i have worked with them in america and i have seen them fling there entire body into a strike and literally launch at you easily striking there entire body mainly diamond backs i have seen do this
so as you have worked over there ...is it common practice for the snake proffesionals to kill the venomous ones as a rule? ....are they not a protected animal as they are here in Australia?:|

red bellie no not at all i am only speaking from what i have seen and learnt over there they are all good im sure there are some bad eggs as there are everyhere alot of usa keepers and researchers tend to use and teach grabbers or tongs where as this isnt a popular way in australia

Why didn't he use a shovel?;)

They couldn't find one with a 40' handle ;)

I'm surprised at the reaction to the picture. Even if it was draped over that car it wouldn't be anywhere near 14' long, but it's clearly much closer to the camera than the car - even the focus is clearly different on the snake and the car. It looks about 4-5' long to me.

You don't need tongs to catch a Rattler. When I found my first one we picked it up with a hook with no trouble, and not that you need to, we restrained it both head-grabbed it. There probably wasn't a set of tongs within a few hundred km (or miles - km don't exist out there).

Vipers have an impressive strike, but not their whole body length, let alone twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back