Diamond having spasms? HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markolsen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. It as been a fair while since i have posted anything up on here but i am concerned about my 3yr old Diamond. I have just moved house with him yesterday and got him set up last night. He seemed to settle in really well and i had him out handling last night with no dramas.

Anyway about an hour ago i gave him a feed (small rat) which he ate with no problems and sat around stretching his mouth which is normal and everything seemed fine. About 10 minutes late i noticed him stretching his mouth again and it looked like he was shaking a little bit. This got my attention and i started watching his behaviour. He seemed to be having full body spasms every 10-15 seconds for a second or 2 where he would open his mouth, hiss and shake as his whole body looked like it tensed up. This went on for about 15-20 minutes with him sitting normally flicking his tongue and moving around and then having these weird spasms. He has stopped now and seems to be normal again but it has got me worried that there might be something wrong?

I have had him for almost 3 years and have never seen this type of thing before. He eats small rats about every two weeks and has never rejected anything since having him. He is super chilled out and is a great handling snake.

Has anyone else seen this type of thing before? I took some video on my phone but not sure if i can post it up here.

If anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mark Olsen :)

could he be trying to regurgitate?

just a thought,....

He was having trouble re-locating his jaws after the feed.
It shouldn't last too long, but can drive them mad at times. I have only seen it a couple of times, if its not better after a couple of hrs it may be something else but I don't think so.

That's what I thought at first to Chris but he kept it down. I think he's fine now hasn't done it for over an hour and he just climbed down into his hide, hopefully he was just doing what you said Cement. Little bugger was freaking me out! Thanks for the replies :)

An update he's back out on his perch this morning basking away so everything seems fine. :) Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers,

Mark.

The thing to do in these situations where there is no logical or visible cause fir behaviour such as this is to sit, watch and wait to see if the problem persists. If it does, then a vet visit is appropriate, but rushing to the vet will tell you nothing if there are no apparent reasons for the behaviour. You did the right thing, and you may never see this again.

Jamie

The thing to do in these situations where there is no logical or visible cause fir behaviour such as this is to sit, watch and wait to see if the problem persists. If it does, then a vet visit is appropriate, but rushing to the vet will tell you nothing if there are no apparent reasons for the behaviour. You did the right thing, and you may never see this again.

Jamie

Similar thing happened to my brothers dog yesterday, managed to injure his leg an he wasnt walking at all. Put off the vet visit until this arvo after work an when he woke up this morning his dog was fine :)

Rick

Thanks for the replies yes he's fine now. Glad I didn't go rushing out to the vet. :)

How do you make a new thread? My children's had a really bad shed and I don't know what to do

How do you make a new thread? My children's had a really bad shed and I don't know what to do

top and bottom of the various forum categories (for example: The Zoo > Herp Help)
there's a button saying "+ Post New Thread"

But while you're here, generally a snake has a bad shed because they haven't had enough humidity. You can resolve the problem by either giving the snake a bath for half an hour, or putting them in a damp cloth bag/pillowcase for a while (preferably somewhere warm). The skin should loosen enough that it rubs off easily. If you have to remove any of the skin yourself make sure you're gentle because you run the risk of tearing the skin underneath. If it's hard to remove, repeat the bath/bag process. Check the shed skin to see if the eye scales and the tip of the tail have come off cleanly, because they can cause problems if they're left on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back