Diamond python hibernation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessop

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys 'n' gals! Recently whilst visiting my local reptile store i was informed by the owner that it is not neccesary to hibernate aussie snakes including diamond pythons. But having researched further, i read an article specifically on diamond pythons stating that is imperative to hibernate them yearly as they are cold weather snakes found even as low as victoria. I realise it is important to lower temps in males to ensure sperm production for breeding, but am still ignorant as to whether they need an annual rest just for their well being and health. I love my diamond python, and would be sad to have to put him on "ice" for three months each year, but as i do really care for his health and want him to live a long life, i would certainly do whatever is neccesary in this instance. So peoples... Can anyone offer some advice on diamond hybernation requirements?

jessop said:
Recently whilst visiting my local reptile store i was informed by the owner that it is not neccesary to hibernate aussie snakes including diamond pythons.

I have bred diamonds without cooling them during winter so perhaps it's not necessary....in the short term, but it's definately advisable in the long run if you want healthy diamonds with a relatively long lifespan. Many (including myself) believe that not cooling them during winter is a contributing factor to Diamond Syndrome. Heating them throughout the year could be taxing on internal organs. They need a period of cooling for their bodies to rest, and you will find that diamonds actually prefer to be cooled during winter, coming out of brumation glowing with vitality.

jessop said:
But having researched further, i read an article specifically on diamond pythons stating that is imperative to hibernate them yearly as they are cold weather snakes found even as low as victoria. I realise it is important to lower temps in males to ensure sperm production for breeding, but am still ignorant as to whether they need an annual rest just for their well being and health

Yes they do need annual rest for their well being. If you keep them at summer temps during winter every year i think you will soon have dying snakes.

Yes they are a cold weather python, but that doesnt mean they have to have their butts frozen during winter. Day temps of 24'C and night temps of 15'C is sufficient enough for them. Even lower night temps would be good if you can manage it.

jessop said:
I love my diamond python, and would be sad to have to put him on "ice" for three months each year

I wouldnt worry about that. Diamonds dont hibernate in the true sense of the word. They will remain somewhat active during daylight hours. As long as you provide heat for several hours each day, you will see your snake. You'd be doing your diamond a favour.

Just curious as I too have a couple of diamonds, but what be a good temp to keep diamonds during winter. How cold do they need to be to hibernate?

My diamonds are outdoors all year. During winter the temps can be as low as 9'C at night, but sometimes during the day too. The warmest the temps would get during the day would be 24'C. My diamonds bask every day during winter as long as the sun comes out.

For indoors i would have the day temps at 24'C, turning the heating on around 7am and have it turn off at about 1pm. For nightime i would either have no heating at all or have it at 15'C.

I guess it all depends on your location and what the temps are like there during winter.

My diamonds are indoors but it can get as low as 1'Cc during the day and as low as -10'C at night (out doors that is) so pretty cold

Serpentongue and Timmy I too am in the central west and not 100% sure of how the temps should be in this cooler climate. How are you keeping yours Timmy. At the moment I have them inside for the winter with a thermostat set at around the 25c. The heating is on a timer and is off from around 11pm till 6am. There is a low wattage heatmat about 1ft square that is on all the time and they do coil up on it at night. During the day when the normal heating is on they avoid the heat mat. I have noticed that temp at 4am is certainly down to 15c and as winter progresses it will get even lower. When summer comes I will put them outside for the hotter months and will probably have low wattage heat mats in one of their hide boxs as it can get quite cool sometimes even in summer. Please comment Serpenttongue as I am not 100% sure and if I could do it any better would like to know and appreciate any ideas. Dave

This can be a very difficult question to answer as it all depends on local conditions. I am in Brisbane where it is still getting into the high 20's during the day and high teens at night. This will decrease down to the low 20's high teens in the day and sinle figures at night. I am thinking about leaving mine at room temperatures and maybe giving it a bit of heat eevry morning.

Welcome to site Jessop :)
You've come to the right place for good python advice.
Great pose in your pic. Very alert.

Hi Dave. You said that your "thermostat [is]set at around the 25c. The heating is on a timer and is off from around 11pm till 6am. There is a low wattage heatmat about 1ft square that is on all the time and they do coil up on it at night."

I'm no expert & still have alot to learn but these are my thoughts:-

Firstly, are you still feeding your Diamonds?
If you are, then this is a good regime, with perhaps the option for basking under a light in the morning as Serpenttongue advised, as they love to bask.
Around 30-33 oC is safe.

But if you've stopped feeding, as is normally best at this time of year for healthy adults, then I'd do away with the night heating or at least cut it back.
As long as they've had the opportunity to reach optimum temps during the day, they should be O.K.
I just reckon that they may need a longer cool night than the 7 hours you're giving them at the moment to brumate properly.
Eering on the side of caution is understandable but I've read that partial brumation uses up their energy reserves a bit more & doesn't give their immune system the full kick it needs.

I have noticed that temp at 4am is certainly down to 15c
That sounds good, but they can handle alot lower without problems (2-5oC) as long as they've got thick hollow logs or polystyrene foam insulated hides and are off the cold floor & there's no draughts.
But because you're just outside their natural range, protect them against sub-zero temps, by mildly warming the room they're in on freezing nights.

I also think it's important to keep lights off (in the room as well) and even heatmats in accordance with natural light hours.

TrueBlue strongly recommends a temp gradient as essential (& I agree) for Diamonds, so always have a cooler end if possible.
This is harder when you've got a thermostat, as they may want to get cooler than 25 oC.
I never use thermostats in cages for this reason.

Just my thoughts (for what they're worth) about what works for my Diamonds.

Of far more worth is Serpenttongues advice, he's the man. 8) Lord of the Diamonds, Prince Of Darkness :wink:

Yes Jessup sorry I didn't see it was your first post, a big WELCOME. Thanks for your thoughts Zen I appreciate it. Maybe I should put the heat mats on the timer too so there is nothing but house temp during the night. I am not feeding the male at the moment but intented to wind the temp down and increase the heating off period over the next few weeks. Not sure what temp I should end up on but maybe the 24c that serptongue suggested. I will start cooling my female shortly. dave

Jessup The advice I would listen to about your diamond would be serpentongues not the bloke in the pet store. Dave

Not for hatchies, but from the next year onwards. IE one born earlier this year would not be cooled and feed right through, but the following winter in 2007 they should be cooled.

My pleasure Dave. :) Hope it helps.
It'll be interesting (as always) to read what ST advises for you.

Triptych_angel, it's optional but recommended that you don't brumate/cool hatchlings in their first year.
I've noticed that they lose a bit of apetite in the coldest part of winter anyway.

thanks for the info guys! we are lucky our diamond hatchie is still ravenous which is excellent! Love a hungry snake!

I don't cool hatchlings during their first year of winter, but i do turn their heating off at night (all year long)so i'd imagine they will still feel the winter cold. Their heating is turned on at 6.30am-7am and turned off at 4pm (when i get home from work). I will continue feeding them throughout winter.

Davem54, Your day temps should be around 22-24'C and should be on for about 5 hours. You can go a few degrees higher or lower if you wish but i prefer 22-24'C.Once the heating is switched off the cage should hold the heat in for another hour and the snakes themselves will be able to maintain high body temps by coiling tightly. This will help them get through cold nights.

As for cold nights it is probably better that you dont provide heat so that they can easily feel the cold nights. If your concerned that the nights are too cold then use the heat mat, but still have the mat set at a fairly low temp, just warm enough that they are not on a freezing surface. I personally dont like heat mats because they are designed to heat a surface instead of heating the air, which is the way i like to heat my snakes. When they're sitting on a heat mat in winter they may be on a warm surface but the air around them is cold which is making their bodies cold while they're trying to get warm. So in situations like that, where their bodies are getting warm from a mat but at the same time getting cold from the air, i think it's better to turn off any heat and make the snake go cold.

Thanks Serpentongue I appreciate the info. I will aim towards what you have suggested. 22-24c for 5hrs. No heat mat during the night unless its really freezing.
Thanks Dave

Thanks guy's!

Thankyou all for the info and kind welcoming! I feel bad for not introducing myself when i first joined... Yes this is a great site!!! :D Being new to the herp world i was surprised but very happy to find this site so full of helpful and encouraging people. Keep up the good work and thanks again for the informative replies. I will definately give him a break from his summer temps and let him rest... Cheers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back