Dibber dobber and proud

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
not living near bushland, our version of a herping adventure is to go to all the reptile stores around melbourne just to see whats around! unfortunately this weekend was not an overly happy trip. the standard of cages that these animals are being kept in is simply not good enough. at one particular store there was only 1 snake which had had a perfect shed - all the others had little pieces of shed all over the cage. this may have been due to the fact that half of them didnt have any water in their dried up bowls. at another store i had to tell one of the employees that her brissy had no water. they dont seem to know how to pick up a soiled piece of newspaper off the bottom of the cage either - for several weeks it seems. with a snake going to the toilet only a few times after eating and with the amount of turd in some of these cages it must have been WEEKS since the last clean out. if i had the money i would have come home with about 50 snakes this weekend. most of these snakes appear to be being power fed too - we saw a diamond having lunch and it looked like it still needed to go to the loo - i dont know about everyone else's regimes but i like my snakes to clean themselves out fully before their next meal, ESPECIALLY being a diamond.
i phoned the game and wildlife licencing unit today to ask how often they do routine checks on commercial licence holders....HMMPH. :x
i told her about the disgusting conditions of these cages and that they NEED to go out to these places and check whats going on to keep these pet stores on their toes. especially seeing as we only have like 15-20 reptile selling stores in melbourne its surely not that hard to even check these places once a year? i am waiting to hear a response from these people and will continue to bitch my god damn **** off to them until they do something about it. i would bloody do it myself if they would allow it.
i really cant stand the way some of these totally clueless people keep these animals. and the prices on them is competely insane too - but we wont go there...yet.
i can only hope the game and wildlife licensing unit will give a $h*t about them and do something about it.

hey zoe,
well done!! Always see people complaining, but not doing anything about it. On the weekend I went to a pet shop down the road it was horrible!!!!!!! there was about a months worth of poo in the cages, rotting mice in the enclosures and all the water bowls were dried up and had poo in them...not nice...so this afternoon at lunch I went to the front office at school and borrowed the phone and rang parks and wildlife commission. Hope they send a ranger around.
well done again zo!
Bye

Well done to both of you :) The conditions in pet shops is often far from good. Maybe we should start a thread on GOOD reptile selling pet shops. I say GOOD because of the possible legal ramifications of posting the names of the many bad ones!! I'll start it off , errr, sorry, give me some time to think, I'mm sure there has to be a good one out there somewhere :)

lol i think the melbourne reptile warehouse is ok - they are against power feeding which always impresses me and most of the time have very clean cages - certainly never more than 1 poo in them. not saying anything about prices tho! but everything in melbourne is expensive :?

I think Palmerston Pet Supplies is probably one of the best. Prices are a bit steep at times, but the animals are usually kept in great conditions and they know reptiles pretty well, I have heard them offer some great advice at times. The best by far is 'exotic pets'm this guy is a reptile keeper, has sooo many snakes scrubbies, womas etc... great prices and offers great advice. The worst I have ever been to was a pet shop not too far away, and I was after some infa-red heat globes for my goanna's, and the lady said, no you dont need those they break too easy, what you do is get your cage and leave it next to a window that gets at least direct sunlight 80 percent of day.... Thats the first ever time I have yelled at a complete stranger..:)

lol go brodes! she deserved it by the sounds of it...twit.

i luv when they try and tell you something completely stupid...like when someone told us that snakes are supposed to shed in lots of little pieces. you find yourself muttering 'tosser' under ur breath as you walk away :twisted:

haha no #4 is my FREAKY baby! haha he's puurrrfect!

Not at all my dear, The council puts out warnings for the area every year :) Not just for there but for Newport as a whole. On the subject of wildlife have you heard the Newport Peacock yet?

lol no...i never know when ur messin with me phil :p

Yeah I know what it's like when you want to buy something and the person behind the counter "knows best". I went into the Reptile Barn in St. Marys and I wanted an ordinary 3 foot fluoro for my Carpets cage as it's pretty dark and needs light to show him off and give him a day cycles but oh no she said if I didn't buy a UV light I was wasting my money and might as well leave him in the dark,I turned around mumbling and grumbling and walked out without buying any of the stuff I went there for and it's a bloody hours drive each way! Minto Pet shop is pretty good for food and lights,etc. and plenty of posts on the wall advertising heaps of snakes for sale,shame they can't stock herps but.

Igive the Melbourne reptile warehouse the thumbs up to. It was the only place that i visited and i i went to every one i could, that didnt try to sell me whatever they had in stock. One of the guys walked and talked for about an hr or so put no pressure to buy on me and told me what was best in his opinion for a 1st time snake owner, he told about his snakes and what he had got 1st. Anyway i ended up going back and buying my coastal there. :D

I bought a stimmie from Pails for scales any issues there? He seemed really professional and serious about his snakes,never gave me the hard sell, well I thought so anyway.

Just curious what the thoughts are in regards to pet shops selling reptiles. Do any of the breeders think it wil affect their sales. Thats if / when NSW allows it. Over here the floodgates were let open and it seems like some pet shops have no idea but are allowed to sell herps anyway. Same story, filthy cages, stressed animals, aggressive animals ( i think due to stress and overcrowding ). One store i have been told was turning off their heating to the herps at times to cut down the power bill. Shocking eh!

I don't think it would have much affect on the breeders' sales, considering what price the pet stores would put on their reptiles, plus the pet stores themselves would be buying off the breeders. It will encourage compulsive buying though. I'd hate to see what condition the pet stores would have their reptiles in when they cannot even manage to care for fish adequately. Noting also that few pet store employees have experience with reptiles I would be very dubious of the care which the animals would receive, let alone the advice newbies would be given when buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back