different lizards in same enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTono

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all,
im just wondering is it possible to have shinglebacks and blue tounges in the same out door enclosure, and will they cross breed or any thing i need to do, and if it is ok is there any others that can go in there to,
thanx all for your help
TONO

Hi Tono,
I dont see there being a problem mate...
You may also like to try some bearded's and water dragons.
It's not uncommon to see these housed togeather in collections; especially in outdoor pits.
Take care when introducing new animals to the 'mixed' group...fights etc; until they settle in.
This can best be avoided, by making sure you have ample space, hides, and food :wink:

Yeah Mr Tono, bigger problem with blue tongues is that they are territorial. They tend to fight each other I find. I couldn't imagine a blue tongue cross breedding with a shingleback. But I see heaps of places keeping lots of them together. I think if their cage is big enough for them to establish a territory then there may be an issue with fighting.. How big is your cage?

Cross breeding can occur and has done but you'd have to be pretty lucky(?) to have it happen. all the Tiliqua can and do interbreed in captivity.
I have never had any problem with numbers of T.scincoides scincoides being kept together. Just need several hides for them to live in. Some males will become servile and some dominant. If there isnt enough space i suppose there could be trouble. Northerns) T. s. intermedia are pretty agreesive though.
Another thing to keep in mind is around breeding time. i have to remove all the gravid blueys this week so the babies dont get eaten especially by the dragons.

See, he knows 150 times as much as me on every topic except for 1. Eh Pete. But why dont you rbluey's fight. Mine have always kept at opposite ends of the cage and gone ballistic at each toher every time I filled the feed bowl. But I notice every one else keep them together. Am I just keeping too few?

Oh BTW, forgot to mention in my current state. I remember when Shinglebacks were Trachydosaurus and not Tiliqua. what changed that? was it interbreeding? Just wondering.

hi peter,
not sure why your's fight, i have 15 easterns together and the ratio is about 9 males to 6 females and i never see then fighting, the pit is about 4 mtrs x 2mtrs, i also have 14 blotched bluey's together, the ratio is about 5 males, 3 females and 6 sub adults, and their pit is about 3 mtrs x 2 mtrs, i only put the sub adults in with the adults about 1 month ago and apart from 1 sub adult thinking he was the boss, i didn't have any troubles and all are living together without any troubles,
i know when i first got my bluey's that the blotched climbed over the divider i had between the easterns and blotched and i found that the blotched attacked the easterns, i lost an old eastern during the attack and put it down to the blotched choking him,

cheers,
steve........

I have two feed stations(loosely speaking) and most of the blueys have one they feed from and not the other.
As to taxa its really your choice and while I like Trachydosaurus i think Tiliqua is probably more appropriate and accepted now.
BTW, are they still fighting because mating can be an aggressive affair.

thanx all 4 your help,
my pit measures 3 meters accross the back coming up to 1 meter
accross the front (pyramid shaped).
if any brawls start out or i start getting blueys that look like they got
2 heads you all will know (lol)
thanx again
Tono

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back